• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

New writer, looking for quick review/advice, thanks! Mike from Canada!

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Canadian_eh89
Official Newbie!

New writer, looking for quick review/advice, thanks! Mike from Canada!

Unread post

Hey, my name is Mike Rushton, I am 24 years old, I live in Edmonton, Canada. I am currently working on my first piece, yes I know that sounds scary, BUT I have always had a good eye for grammatical errors, and my imagination has always been creative. I have an interest in the Post-apocalyptic, Dystopian, Thriller/Action, Military. Most of the books I have read though honestly just make me shake my head at the unrealistic events/outcomes, or just the way things are worded or described.
Sorry for the rant but it kind of gives you an idea of what sparked me to get started, I feel the same way about Books as I do Movies, Music, or TV shows, and use this to help me keep myself engaged as I write it, knowing that the reader should feel the same. I'm mostly looking for someone to read what I have, maybe give me some feedback or advice on who to approach or talk to about getting published, I'm not sure of the self-publishing route. Also what route to go whether it be a 4-5 Volume series, or one long novel, or a short story series even. I feel I could do all three to be honest, just a matter of getting a direction for now and going at it.
Book Description:
Title: At All Costs
It was just another school night, two months to Graduation. Chris awoke head pounding, bed sheets soaked from sweat. There was a deafening and bone-rattling sound over the town in the middle of the night. They had been invaded, by who or why, no one knew. The Nation is shut down, no radio, no cell phone, no internet. Chris and his friend Myles head on a journey that starts out searching for help, then has them suddenly desperately trying to keep distance, from everyone. Stealing, living without family, from saving lives to taking lives, they will do whatever it takes to stay alive. At all costs.

It is only 30 pages in length, but compared to 80% of the books I have read recently it has as much or more actions, events, emotions, characters, just way less filler. I could keep going no problem with this, just trying to get a direction in mind, I honestly think what I have I could almost end with for a Volume 1 of a series, still increasing the next Volume sizes if I wanted to. No this book is not about Aliens, it's in the long run about revolution and society deteriorating due to lack of maintenance.
Thanks for reading!
Mike
Attachments
At All Costs - M.W Rushton.pdf
30 page book, still have lots of ideas and plenty of ways to go with this. Would appreciate any feedback and advice on direction!
(175.49 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: New writer, looking for quick review/advice, thanks! Mike from Canada!

Unread post

Hey Mike, welcome to Booktalk!

Check out the sticky thread at the top of this forum called Author's Support. I've given some useful links.

I read a bit of what you've written. The prose is actually really good. I'd refrain from talking about an algebra test in the first paragraph, that's sort of off-putting. Kudos for specificity, but push it back into the story a bit I think. Set the tone before flashing back 2 months.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Canadian_eh89
Official Newbie!

Unread post

thanks!
Canadian_eh89
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Hey Mike, welcome to Booktalk!

Check out the sticky thread at the top of this forum called Author's Support. I've given some useful links.

I read a bit of what you've written. The prose is actually really good. I'd refrain from talking about an algebra test in the first paragraph, that's sort of off-putting. Kudos for specificity, but push it back into the story a bit I think. Set the tone before flashing back 2 months.
Hi thanks for your input! I'll take it into consideration for sure! The only reason I spoke about Algebra and the non-practical things you learn in school, was because he was waking up during a tuesday morning School night, his mind was thinking about the menial tasks ahead for the day, before all hell breaks loose. I just thought it was a more real way of thinking for a teenager waking up before school, then facing an even harsher reality. Let me know if that makes you think differently..

Return to “Author's Lounge”