• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Have you written a novel?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Have you written a novel?

Unread post

I'm not spam. LOL! I'm a regular contributor to BookTalk. Don't believe me? Check out my author's website http://www.brookskohler.com/

Long story short, I've been writing for ten years and have recently created a small publishing business named Laptiast. I'm seeking authors who have written novels or biographies to feature on my site and possibly publish on a small scale in order to sell in bookstores near my home in Southern Illinois. I'm hoping to expand, but I'm not promising the moon.

To learn more, visit my publishing site http://www.laptiast.com/

Please respond to this post if you're interested.

Thanks!
--Brooks
TheWizard
The Great Gabsby

Re: Have you written a novel?

Unread post

I've been down this road with small publishers before - it was seriously death for the novels and cost me a LOT to get back

So can you answer these questions:

1. What can you do for me that I can't do for myself?
1.a. Can you get me reviews? By whom?
1.b Do you have an advertising budget? How much?
1.c What trades can you get me into?

2. What is your record for success?

3. Who have you taken past the top 10,000 on Amazon? What genre?
Robert Brady
Author of The Fovean Chronicles
http://www.swordsandsorcery.com
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

[quote="TheWizard"]I've been down this road with small publishers before - it was seriously death for the novels and cost me a LOT to get back

So can you answer these questions:

1. What can you do for me that I can't do for myself?
1.a. Can you get me reviews? By whom?
1.b Do you have an advertising budget? How much?
1.c What trades can you get me into?

2. What is your record for success?

3. Who have you taken past the top 10,000 on Amazon? What genre?[/quote

Hi Wizard,

I understand your apprehension with small publishers. I'm a writer like yourself. Seems like every time I signup for a website or program related to writing, I get that icky feeling in my gut. Thus, I can't promise the moon and will not. I started Laptiast as a way to promote my work and that of other authors. I come from the indie band world where self promotion, linking up, and support are the main currency. If I can't publish an author's work I like, I then see if I can link to their work, using their novel to help promote my site while at the same time helping them promote their work.

Sounds like you're looking for a larger publisher or maybe somebody to get you to the next level. Have you gone with an agent or considered one?

--Brooks
Last edited by Brooks127 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
erinlynne
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi Brooks,

I'm new here on BookTalk and have just published my first novel, Imperfections. Chris has put the novel under the featured section if you want to check it out. I'm currently in the process of networking and simply trying to get to know people. This novel will also be published in French in the beginning of September, I hope. I'd like to hear more about possibly promoting this novel on your website. I am working on my second novel that will be followed by Erin's Collection of Short Stories and could consider publishing through you in the future.

My author website is : http://erinlynne.net/

I have someone working on the screenwrite now to see what we can't come up with. It's a great story, not because I wrote it.. The story happened. I just put it into words.

Erin
sportourer1
Master Debater

Unread post

I have 3 novels out as eBooks but do not feel published for some reason it seems to be a cheat, don't know why.
NJ Slater
RonCraig
Official Newbie!

Unread post

For what its worth, I am self published and I look at it like this. Some of us have put ourselves through 4 years of college and then there are those that were blessed with a scholarship. In the end we both have a degree, the same document.

RonCraig
rdc8492
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

I haven't yet, but I will someday. Busy right now promoting a friend's first novel.
If you like humorous science fiction, I invite you to read Highway to the Stars: The Beginning by B.E. Wilson

Return to “Author's Lounge”