• In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Overrated Book???

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Re: Overrated Book???

Unread post

thehappycynic wrote:Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Hands down. Those who love it fawn over it as some spiritual quest, thinking it gives them special insight into the slums of Bombay. The author was a convicted heroin dealer and bank robber. He escaped from prison in Australia and fled to India where he lived in Bombay's underworld for ten years.
Hmmm... I'm going to check this out. I love book with a beat. Thanks.

If he's a bragger, like you describe, then it reminds me of the Louis L'Amour's memoir Education of A Wandering Man. All through the book he talks about reading and reading constantly. He reads so much, you begin to think that maybe he's just making some of it up. Who knows, maybe he was, probably was. Steinbeck said, "All good writers are good liars." LOL!
Benn98
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I think right now it will have to be Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey, and anything by Nicholas Sparks.
Last edited by Benn98 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

"My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer," the boy told the alchemist one night as they looked up at the moonless sky.
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams."
I just finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, which has been translated into umpteen languages, is very popular, etc. It claims that if you are genuinely in pursuit of your Personal Legend, the entire Universe conspires to make it happen. :roll: Kinda reminded me of Jonathan Livingston Seagull...
rdc8492
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

sportourer1 wrote:50 Shades of Grey has to be well up there. Pure jealousy on my part to be fair
:lol: Ok, In the interest of being open minded... I will still give props to E.L. James for the 50 Shades series. She was confident enough to put it out there and it paid off. (well in fact!) But yes, I agree with the OP... very highly overrated. As for the 'pure jealousy' part.. I shall plead the 5th and giggle :chatsmilies_com_92:
If you like humorous science fiction, I invite you to read Highway to the Stars: The Beginning by B.E. Wilson
magdamierzeja
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

"Eclipse" Stephanie Meyer, this books is the only one that I didn't finish to read because it was getting so boring. So I got upset and watched the movie which was waaaaaaayyyy better than the book (sorry, for those who liked it) and I read the last one with much more enthusiasm. (there was more action and suspense)
magdamierzeja
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

"Eclipse" Stephanie Meyer, this books is the only one that I didn't finish to read because it was getting so boring. So I got upset and watched the movie which was waaaaaaayyyy better than the book (sorry, for those who liked it) and I read the last one with much more enthusiasm. (there was more action and suspense)
lindell
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I liked both The great gatsby and wuthering heights so i can't really agree on those! But I've never quite understood the popularity of Stieg Larsson, and I have to agree on Sparks, even if i've only managed to read one entire book by him; The notebook. It has a weird dialogue and it feels like he keeps repeating their names in every sentence.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

"Fifty Shades of Grey" was crap writing for sure.
Bird_of_America
Official Newbie!

Unread post

thehappycynic wrote:Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Hands down. Those who love it fawn over it as some spiritual quest, thinking it gives them special insight into the slums of Bombay. The author was a convicted heroin dealer and bank robber. He escaped from prison in Australia and fled to India where he lived in Bombay's underworld for ten years.

The book is presented in the first person like memoir and Roberts insists he's out to atone for his wrongs. But many of the events just reek of Hollywood pandering, as striving for a movie deal. Roberts seems to get into one life-threatening situation after another making sure to humbly kick-ass all the way through.

At one point he's getting beaten up by some thugs in a Bombay prison and he writes such cliches like "all through the beating, I never screamed, I never once gave them that satisfaction."

If you take it as a memoir, (which Roberts has apparently said that there is a liberal sprinkling of fiction in there), then he comes off as such a narcissist to the point where the book, for me anyway, has become unreadable.

Warner Bros. now own the rights to the book. So it looks like he's riding his checkered past all the way to the bank.
I've had a similiar impression. However, I enjoyed it disregarding the fact that it's not actually memoirs, but rather fiction. "All good writers are good liars" - true!!!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

"Overratedness" is a hard thing to judge in the first place. I guess it's that quality of "everybody seemed to really like it, but I had to say, what's up with that?" A recent book that goes on my list is The Overstory by Richard Powers. I managed only 75 pages, finding it boring and superficial. An oldie but supposedly goodie is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Victor Frankenstein, so lavishly praised as brilliant and noble by other characters, is so dim-witted that he catches on to the monster's intentions way after the reader already has. A bad book that probably was good as a tale, before Shelley expanded it to a novel. It became famous because of its theme of scientist trying to be God, not because it's executed well.

Return to “Everything Else”