• In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Quantum uncertainty

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Quantum uncertainty

Unread post

This is the best video i've ever seen to explain what Hiesenberg's uncertainty principle is actually talking about.

It sounds kind of magical and arbitrary the way i've usually heard it described.
This videos is talking about the actual mechanical effects that cause the problems of uncertainty.

vey nice.
I like Sixty Symbols!

Part 1

youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotat ... goA_jmGIcA

Part 2

youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotat ... KR0ADUhjNE

and a related video.

youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotat ... 1yb1adU2vI
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: Quantum uncertainty

Unread post

Interesting, I watched the first one. Having a popular-level understanding of some of this stuff, it was a new way of thinking about it, although I'd need to unpack it some more to really start understanding it (for example, to understand why those waves are used to represent momentum in the first place.)

By the way, if you've never seen it, you might appreciate this web site. I've been brushing up on some math:

http://betterexplained.com/
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: Quantum uncertainty

Unread post

Just read this over again, and it's a bit of a ramble. sorry.

the energy levels of photons are the result of their frequency, which is essentially how much the photon is "vibrating".

In water waves the difference in height of the peaks vs the troughs determines the intensity. Not in photons.

So for instance, when you turn down a fader lamp in your house, you don't get weaker and weaker photons. Instead you get fewer and fewer of them. All the same intensity, but few and far between.

This is why when attempting to measure an electron, which interacts very strongly with electromagnetism, it doesn't matter if you only hit it with a single photon. That photon is exactly as strong when there's only one as when there are a billion. It still sends the electron flying!

So anyway, photons are "objects" that travel at the speed of light. They can't go any faster, so when more energy is invested in them they can only gain momentum. The speed stays the same. More energy means more momentum, which correlates to smaller and smaller wavelengths.

This is also kind of what's happening when you attempt to accelerate a mass to the speed of light. You reach an asymptote that levels off the speed and instead ramps up the momentum. Momentum is velocity and mass. can't go any faster, so it gets more massive. Which is interesting...
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Return to “Science & Technology”