• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

Looking for a Mentor in Writing a Biography

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lovemybull
Atop the Piled Books

Looking for a Mentor in Writing a Biography

Unread post

Basically I want to write a biography. It's a band from the early seventies. No other books have been written about them. Three of the founding members passed on more than twenty years ago. But while looking around to get my bearings I find that as of 2013 they're still performing and recording with several new lineups.
I know that with the right research a story can write itself. I've been told over the years that I was meant to write. I don't expect it to be a big seller. The niche market is aging boomers, for which there actually is quite a large market. Mostly I just want to write it to pay tribute to a band that I've appreciated my whole life.
Now where on earth do I start?
L' Chaim!
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Re: Looking for a Mentor in Writing a Biography

Unread post

Sounds like a fun project with a lot of work involved, but if you enjoy the band then it will be much better. I just completed a project where I wrote two encyclopedia entries, on two famous bands from the 1990s, for an academic publisher. It was a lot of work, definitely not a book, but nevertheless enjoyable. The research can take in you all kinds of places.

After writing my thesis for my Master's in History I learned that you can never have too much information. That's the major part to any undertaking like what you're planning. I would start now. I wouldn't wait. If you're serious about it, then you need to get going on it.

I wouldn't worry about getting permission until you have a substantial amount of material collected. In saying that, be prepared for the band to say no and not get your feelings hurt. More than likely, however, the band will be impressed that somebody has taken the time to chronicle their success.

And, about interest in your book, you'd be surprised. People like histories, especially if they have a lot details and are written well. The best histories provide info but also entertain. The great thing about band biographies is that they show what can happen through teamwork. I played in a band in the early 1990s. I realize now it was an entrepreneurial experience that none of my teachers recognized. As a result of being ignored, I now try to support any person who has a dream. Dreams will lead you to the next door.

Anyway, I'd like to learn more about it. I invite you to visit my website http://www.brookskohler.com/ and email me through my contact portal. Make sure you include your email in the text. I'll email you back.

Best,
Brooks
Last edited by Brooks127 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Author's Lounge”