Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:03 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
10 scientific ideas you should stop misusing 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Post Re: 10 scientific ideas you should stop misusing
Quote:
If his aunt can be maligned for speaking about things that lack evidence, I can malign Interbane for speaking about aspects of reality that lack evidence for them as well.

Dodge.

Quote:
So we're just going to make scientific statements to make it sound as if we know what we are talking about and the other non scientific person does not, and then run away when someone starts asking questions?

Dodge.

THIS, Ant.

Quote:
Ant:
It's really dumb of a disbeliever to state he believes a supernatural entity does not exist.

You should address the nonsense words you put on the screen.

I'm not picking this one out for importance... it is only the latest in a string of nonsense. But i am tired of people asking you to address these things you say, watching you dodge them, and then go on to try grandstanding like you are now on Interbane.

Then you are going to call someone on this site a coward, while dodging responsibility for your nonsense.

Then you are going to demand people back up what they say with scientific peer reviewed papers, while dodgeing responsibility for the nonsense you've typed.

It's Bullshit.

you said this:

Quote:
Ant:
It's really dumb of a disbeliever to state he believes a supernatural entity does not exist.

So reconcile that with the fact that you don't believe in the literal existence of the god Odin.

Admit this sentence you wrote is nonsense, or you are going to hear about it every time you try your grandstanding, look-at-me, tantrums.

Children are not held responsible for the things they do and say because they don't know any better. You should know better. You will be held to account for bleeting drivel like this onto the forums.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
youkrst
Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:13 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

Also I think ant that you may have mischaracterised Interbane's words with reference to his conversation with his aunt.

I read it as total endearment , the utter cuteness of the oblivious response.

Like in the bible where Jesus says Lazarus is sleeping but I go to wake him, and Thomas says , yes let us go that we may die with him. :lol:

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:01 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Quote:
What evidence is there for multiple dimensions that outweighs Auntie Interbane's claim of vibrations that give of information of physical maladies?

The collaboration of hundreds of intelligent men versus the musings of an old woman? If you read closely, her cold reading was the quackery, and I called her on it.

Quote:
You're just using abstract theoretical conjectures

I already said that ant. Again, what are you hissing about?

ant wrote:
Just the same, your claim that string vibrations ultimately DETERMINE "the building blocks of nature"

Interbane wrote:
Next time I'll couch everything I say with the appropriate confidence-level adjectives, just so you won't get your knickers in a bunch.

I guess it's required, even in otherwise casual threads. How about "string vibrations could possibly determine the building blocks of nature?" Or should I have added further disclaimers? "Some mathematicians say...", or even opened with a disclaimer before that?

"This is all speculative, but in the book I'm reading, some mathematicians say that string vibrations could possibly determine the building blocks of nature."

You should complain about my misuse of the word "adjective" while you're at it. Those aren't freaking adjectives, they're pronouns and determiners, and one is even an adverb! A rotten rascal adverb!

:kap:

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:40 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Quote:
The collaboration of hundreds of intelligent men versus the musings of an old woman?

Yeah,
there's a scientific consensus that is in agreement that string theory determines the "emergent" characteristics of nature.

oh, sorry, the consensus is in the hundreds.
that's even more convincing.

At least your auntie's musing are able to be subjected to scientific scrutiny.
There's no way to test what you've alleged is responsible for determining the emergence of natural phenomena.
Is there? Lay it out for us here, please.

If you can't then explain the math for us and tell us all why the particular theorem you've chosen is an accurate depiction of the emergent characteristic of nature you're talking about as opposed to a hypothesis that may differ.

Till then you're just mouthing what you agree with and that's about it.

You should be proud of me. I'm actually coming to the defense of Auntie Interbane.
I say she may not know what she's talking about, but neither do you, really.

I say what she has claimed can be tested, regardless. At least we have that.
I say what you've claimed to be a determined aspect of nature has NOT been determined, and isn't even close to being determined, and can NOT be tested.
She may be speaking metaphysically, but so are you.
Pointing to the work of abstract mathematics performed by hundreds of intelligent men does not provide you with a carte blanche card to speak with deterministic authority. Stop pretending it does.

If we can put people on trial for there metaphysical claims, we can put people on trial when they claim to speak with the authority of science in their corner.

Last edited by ant on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:41 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

:bananadance2:

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:49 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

you have no ground to stand on, ant.

none.

and no credibility.

there you go demanding proof while dodging, at every turn, every question ever put to you about the blatantly hollow bullshit you post.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:51 am

Gold Contributor

What we really have here in progress, people, is something called "selective skepticism"

People who claim being skeptical also means being "scientific" are not skeptical of highly abstract concepts of fields of "science" that rely strictly on abstract mathematics to depict aspects of nature that can not be observed or tested.

We are skeptical of dear old granny and dear old grandpa's pseudo scientific claims but speak freely about determined aspects of nature that can neither be empirically verified or falsified.

Sort of like a weight lifter who doesn't really want to do the work it takes to be strong.

:bananen_smilies042:

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:12 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

johnson1010 wrote:
you have no ground to stand on, ant.

none.

and no credibility.

there you go demanding proof while dodging, at every turn, every question ever put to you about the blatantly hollow bullshit you post.

dear mr. strawman;

try to stay on topic.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:12 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Quote:
You should be proud of me. I'm actually coming to the defense of Auntie Interbane.
I say she may not know what she's talking about, but neither do you, really.

What? She was full to the nostrils with fecal matter. Her cold reading can and has been tested, from others performing the same thing. From me when her questions failed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

Quote:
What we really have here in progress, people, is something called "selective skepticism"

Quote:
dear mr. strawman;

try to stay on topic.

What this thread is about, ant, is the misuse of scientific ideas, not selective skepticism. Sure, string theory is borderline, but there is large enough consensus from the scientific community that it warrants being posted in this thread. What my aunt was talking about - the "vibrational harmonics of my karma" - is a misuse of the idea behind string theory. If you want to claim that it's a testable phenomenon, then go right ahead Deepak, but it is not the same thing as string theory.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:09 am

Gold Contributor

Quote:
Her cold reading can and has been tested, from others performing the same thing. From me when her questions failed.

Oh wow! I didn't know that!

Just another episode of Interbane educating us all!!

Thanks!!

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:14 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Just another episode of Interbane educating us all!!

I think you're the only one on the wrong page ant.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:27 am

Gold Contributor

One thing I like about science is that it's so scientific.
Next time tell auntie that.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:30 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2