• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

10 scientific ideas you should stop misusing

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: 10 scientific ideas you should stop misusing

Unread post

you have no ground to stand on, ant.

none.

and no credibility.

there you go demanding proof while dodging, at every turn, every question ever put to you about the blatantly hollow bullshit you post.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

What we really have here in progress, people, is something called "selective skepticism"

People who claim being skeptical also means being "scientific" are not skeptical of highly abstract concepts of fields of "science" that rely strictly on abstract mathematics to depict aspects of nature that can not be observed or tested.

We are skeptical of dear old granny and dear old grandpa's pseudo scientific claims but speak freely about determined aspects of nature that can neither be empirically verified or falsified.

Sort of like a weight lifter who doesn't really want to do the work it takes to be strong.

:bananen_smilies042:
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:you have no ground to stand on, ant.

none.

and no credibility.

there you go demanding proof while dodging, at every turn, every question ever put to you about the blatantly hollow bullshit you post.

dear mr. strawman;

try to stay on topic.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

You should be proud of me. I'm actually coming to the defense of Auntie Interbane.
I say she may not know what she's talking about, but neither do you, really.
What? She was full to the nostrils with fecal matter. Her cold reading can and has been tested, from others performing the same thing. From me when her questions failed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

What we really have here in progress, people, is something called "selective skepticism"
dear mr. strawman;

try to stay on topic.
What this thread is about, ant, is the misuse of scientific ideas, not selective skepticism. Sure, string theory is borderline, but there is large enough consensus from the scientific community that it warrants being posted in this thread. What my aunt was talking about - the "vibrational harmonics of my karma" - is a misuse of the idea behind string theory. If you want to claim that it's a testable phenomenon, then go right ahead Deepak, but it is not the same thing as string theory.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Her cold reading can and has been tested, from others performing the same thing. From me when her questions failed.
Oh wow! I didn't know that!

Just another episode of Interbane educating us all!!

Thanks!!
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Just another episode of Interbane educating us all!!
I think you're the only one on the wrong page ant.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

One thing I like about science is that it's so scientific.
Next time tell auntie that.

Return to “Science & Technology”