• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

how effective are 'book trailers'?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MikePhilbin
Almost Comfortable

Re: how effective are 'book trailers'?

Unread post

okay, here are my book trailer for my novel

CUSTODIAN

and my collaborative collection

BOYFISTGIRLSUCK

the idea is to tempt the reader in.... and, yes, I have a terrible sense of humour.

:)
my new novel Custodian (free planet#1) is available now in ebook and paperback from Chimericana Books.
Gillianfx
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Since a company called Book2Buzz did mine it did wonders for my visibility. The response have been great. The trick is to not make it too long. Check it out here youtube.com/watch?v=EiBdwhT74NA&lis ... detailpage
tipmyhat
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I've a different view on book trailers. Although great for branding purposes, almost no-one goes on youtube for a intuitive search to look for a good book suggestion. So if you use a book trailer, always use it as part of a greater campaign. If you have a following it can be great to convert fans into buyers for your new publication. It also can persuade a potential buyer to get the book if he has seen promotions in a different channel.

But the most book trailers I've encountered have been seen by a few hundred people. If you convert 10% (which is high by any standards) that would convert in a few dozen sales.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
colonk
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I too agree from my own experience that, though a book trailer can enhance your image by placing it on goodreads and your own blog, it doesn't really bring in more sales through youtube. I'll stand by this until someone proves me wrong (and frankly, I hope someone does).

That said, as I say, they can complete your book image and they can be made quite cheaply. I wrote a post on how to make a trailer for less than $100 using prezi. Here's the link >>>
http://www.pcrmonk.com/2013/09/26/how-t ... ith-prezi/
MikePhilbin
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Book2Buzz, I'll give them a try, thanks

Mike
my new novel Custodian (free planet#1) is available now in ebook and paperback from Chimericana Books.
PoeticJustin
Master Debater

Unread post

I have made two book trailers using Windows Movie Maker, nothing too fancy just fun, direct and too the point. I have posted them to Youtube and one has over 60 views and the other 123 views. Now I will personally state that I can't say the book trailers have helped me in sales but they are there in the event that it makes an impact on someone and they are fun to make. Now to answer the question, are they effective? I suppose if they are posted in the right places they can draw in some people. I would also say that the more professionally done the more likely they are to be effective. I am more on the side of where you post them and how you tag them that will help you figure out whether or not they are effective. Basically I say yes and no, they can be if you know what your doing or have a good idea. If you just put together a book trailer, post it and then expect drastic changes in sales well then your going to be in for a rude awakening.

The first thing to remember about a book trailer is you want to keep it simple, don't give away too much but provide enough information so the reader knows whats going on and make it good enough that it will pull in their attention. If you can do these very easy tasks then there is a good chance your book trailer will be effective in pulling you in some sales.
Justin Bienvenue--Author--Like A Box of Chocolates

Return to “Author's Lounge”