• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Happiness Hypothesis - read intro online

#129: Mar. - May 2014 (Non-Fiction)
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: The Happiness Hypothesis - read intro online

Unread post

Also in this intro, I really liked his remarks about our embarrassment of riches, as far as material available to us to delve into in our search for "answers." That's true, being overwhelmed by information and being distracted so much gets greatly in the way of--if you want to call it this--enlightenment.

Another good thing was a generalization he made that I think we might all agree is a true universal: "that there is a vertical, spiritual dimension of human existence. Whether it is called nobility, virtue, or divinity, and whether or not God exists, people do perceive sacredness, holiness, or some ineffable goodness in others, and in nature."

"Vertical" makes me thing of the word "transcendent," the quality that is often chosen to describe this religious/spiritual dimension. Whatever we say we believe, or however we say we experience the world, we're all talking about this vertical dimension in our lives. It's common ground and I like it.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

My previous post may come across as very "random." In fact, it was a followup to another post that apparently didn't quite make it and now it's gone forever. I can't remember what it was about.
-Geo
Question everything
pericotera
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

lots of "why's" in intro promised to be discovered, interesting...
TheDiamondNet
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi. if anyone is interested, I just posted a video book review of "The Happiness Hypothesis" yesterday. Here is the link if you're interested... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC-z0pwBzEE

Return to “The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom - by Jonathan Haidt”