• In total there are 34 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Do people prefer Kindle or hardback Books?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MikePhilbin
Almost Comfortable

Re: Do people prefer Kindle or hardback Books?

Unread post

I get most of my books from libraries, and I don't have a Kindle reader.

:)
my new novel Custodian (free planet#1) is available now in ebook and paperback from Chimericana Books.
tyler89
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I think in about twenty years we will see kindles everywhere in the subway for example. There's still some nostalgic feeling that goes along with hardback books but in the future way more people will have discovered the advantages of ebook readers in my opinion.
cpttyrene
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I prefer being able to hold the book, but my bookshelf is chocked full. I'm the type of person who will not get rid of any of them. Then again, I know that ebook readers are easier to take with you and I do use one for trips instead of packing a book.
“A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.” ― David Brinkley

Find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/barryhayesauthor or on Twitter @cpttyrene.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

tyler89 wrote:

I think in about twenty years we will see kindles everywhere in the subway for example. There's still some nostalgic feeling that goes along with hardback books but in the future way more people will have discovered the advantages of ebook readers in my opinion.

You don't have to wait twenty years, tyler. Bexar County, Texas (think San Antonio) has just opened its first "Biblio Tech" library. The library hs no books (or bookshelves for that matter). What it does have is 100 e-readers that it will loan to patrons. With these e-readers they will be able to access 10,000 digital titles. You can also bring your own e-reader. The article does not specify if the readers must be Kindles, Nooks, or something else. Source: The Wall Street Journal (other sources on line).

In a similar vein, the Mansfield (Texas) public schools are experimentin with a 'no textbook' year in its high schools. Students are loaned a iPad which will be loaded with digital texts, and (I assume) other materials.

Stay tuned for further developments in this area.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Elias Zapple
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I too prefer paperbacks/hardbacks but then I live in 1975 and I don't know what a Kindle is. :)
Moustache model & children's author
Website
Amazon
Smashwords
MikePhilbin
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Personally,

and this may be a slight diversion

I'd like to see the Library System applied to all facets of Modern Life, wearing Gucci dresses, driving Lambourghinis, being Royal for the day...

that sorta stuff (not that I'd wear the Gucci dress - LOL - it's not 'all about me').

:)
my new novel Custodian (free planet#1) is available now in ebook and paperback from Chimericana Books.

Return to “Everything Else”