• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The A.S.P. Alphabet Soup Puzzle

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: The A.S.P. Alphabet Soup Puzzle

Unread post

What you said makes more sense now. There are full words in the mix, but with transposition according to some algorithm. The algorithm is probably similar to the one they used to make the 'secret pictures'. I'll take a look with fresh eyes later.

This morning I had to travel from one branch to another, and needed to carry some credit card information with me. So I wrote it on a sticky note in a cipher. My fascination with ciphers actually only started two weeks ago, when I started Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. The timing of this puzzle is good.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Interbane,

Check out these two videos by Numberphile about the German Enigma machines.

Excellent.

Fun cipher info dump.

http://www.numberphile.com/videos/enigma.html

http://www.numberphile.com/videos/enigma_flaw.html
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

That's good stuff. Stephenson write about the Enigma quite a bit in Cryptonomicon. I was just listening to a chapter about it this morning.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Possible hint:

Start from upper left corner. Divide ASP into blocks of 17 lines and 17 columns.
From each section take the first 7 characters of the bottom line.
These represent a little-endian number in base 25 with 'a' representing zero.
Divide that number by its ordinal index within the message, then divide that value by 50411. The result will yield the corresponding letter in the clear by indexing into the first 26 odd primes: that is a=3, b=5, c=7,...z=103; 107 represents a separator.

Does anyone understand this?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”