• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One: Prologue through 07

#128: Mar. - May 2014 (Fiction)
VMLM
Experienced

Re: A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One: Prologue through 07

Unread post

Crystalline wrote:See, you guys like fantasy so much because you are wannabe's: you want to be those knights, riding prancing steeds, wielding magical swords, being victorious in battle, etc., etc. You know what the "etc." stands for :)!
You even try to speak like them :)!
(just having some fun)
Oh, most definitely xD.

But, when I said I read in Mark Addy's voice, I should've added in my head. Although I have been known to walk around a room gesticulating and making expansive arm movements while reading some dialogues (but only if I'm sure nobody's near enough to notice).
Last edited by VMLM on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I love fantasy because I get to transport myself into that world for a while.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I don,t have any envy towards any thing associated with the word " Medieval". I mean drawing and quartering has little appeal to me. I simply could not imagine having to live in a time like that.
VMLM
Experienced

Unread post

Taylor wrote:I don,t have any envy towards any thing associated with the word " Medieval". I mean drawing and quartering has little appeal to me. I simply could not imagine having to live in a time like that.
Heh, let's not even get started on basic sanitation. Or anti-biotics. No aids though, that's a plus... life expectancy of about 30 years, high probability that you'll just spawn (heh) as a peasant...

And you don't even get a magical sword...

Obviously I still fantasize about it though. To be honest, however, I'm more into imagining futuristic scenarios... mars colonization, space elevators, true ai... that sort of thing.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

A magic sword to remove callous's from my feet might be useful, and an ability to get air sick at light speed. Awesome!
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

LOL...you guys make me laugh!
rogerg01
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

interesting, i want to read the book tooImage:)
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

Crystalline wrote:See, you guys like fantasy so much because you are wannabe's: you want to be those knights, riding prancing steeds, wielding magical swords, being victorious in battle, etc., etc. You know what the "etc." stands for :)!
You even try to speak like them :)!
(just having some fun)
Lol, I'm not a fantasy fan, I'm a political intrigue fan and sci-geek because I want to be a space pirate when I grow up! Fantasy generally irritates me because it's a lot of running and camping and then they solve all their problems with magic! I was completely sceptical of this series for a long time despite at least a dozen people bugging me about it. I especially dislike things set in time periods with no indoor plumbing.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Ok, so we are making some funny comments, but getting away from a literary discussion about this book: style of writing, character development, plot development, etc. I'll try to get more serious next time and I'll be waiting for more serious comments.
"wonderful, memerizing, awesome, fabulous, genius, incredible, amazing" is not what I would like to hear, as these words are often overused and have become somewhat meaningless...
No, I'm not criticising or complaining, just that I think we are getting away from the true purpose of this forum, and, yes, I'm also guilty of making silly remarks.
Actually, this is my first fantasy novel and after reading 152 pages, I'm not too sure I want to read the rest. But I will keep reading because 152 out of 800 pages is too short to form a true opinion. So...reading on...
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

Absolutely!

The last fantasy book I read was the Wheel of Time series. I hated that author's style of writing, but the plot line was enough to keep me reading. How he wrote was...like a third rate novelist. Things were too obvious, the characters were...obvious. They didn't really develop at all. They just remained the same and solved problems as themselves. And just how he wrote sentences was more annoying than pleasing. GoT does not annoy me like that. Plus it has a super-awesome plot line.

In GoT the characters definitely develop and change. Sansa is a great example. She wants to be a princess/queen but doesn't understand what exactly that means, but eventually she learns a ton about what the political and personal effects are. I'm trying not to give out spoilers and stuff so I'm trying not to say a whole lot, but...if you read all the books you will absolutely see character development. The difficulty of this book experience is that it requires a commitment to read all of them and not just one. If you finish book one it will not be hard to continue on to the rest. Hooray for addiction!

But as far as style goes...Each chapter is titled with a character and told from that character's perspective. It reminds me of Tom Clancy. One huge difference that I've noticed is that in a Tom Clancy novel you know who the good guy is and who is going to be there at the end of the novel. I like not knowing. :) I'm a trekkie instead of a Star Wars fan because Star Wars is your basic archetypal good vs. evil = good guy wins as opposed to Star Trek where they face moral dilemmas. In the Game of Thrones books there aren't really good guys and bad guys. There are just characters with motivations. And GoTs does one better...you never know when the good guy will turn out to be a bad guy or when the bad you guy you like is going to die or vice versa or upside down or anything.

Return to “A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One - by George R. R. Martin”