• In total there are 26 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

34-year-old caveman

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MrMarkP37
Getting Comfortable

34-year-old caveman

Unread post

Hello, my name is Mark Phillips. The title of this is true, I do tend to be about ten years behind the times. Twitter, Facebook, the Internet itself. I was late to the game on all these things. I try to keep up, but it isn't easy.

Reading and writing are the hobbies that take up pretty much all of my "spare" time. Although that term is used loosely when you have a job, are married and have three children.

I love talking about books. I love speculating about themes and author intentions. I also like to branch out with new books. That's part of why I decided to join this site. It seems to me that the suggestions of some fellow book-lovers is a great way to try some new types of literature.

I look forward to connecting with you in the future.

Mark Phillips
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: 34-year-old caveman

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk. I just wanted to tell you that it's never too late. I could almost be your grandmother and I wrote and published my first book last year. It was an exciting adventure...
Are you dreaming of writing a book? DO IT, if you are, doesn't matter how long it takes you.
See my website www.VictoriaNorvaisa.com where you can see my book and my art gallery.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the community. :-)

I've got only one son but I know all too well how your "spare" time is almost non-existent once you become a father. I'm sure that problem is amplified with three kids. Hats off to you for finding the time to join BookTalk.org or read in general. It ain't easy. But it is therapeutic and I believe we'll be better dads if we devote at least some time to our own personal interests.

We're going to be starting "A Game of Thrones" here shortly. Is fantasy of interest to you? You're welcome to participate even if you only watch the HBO series and skip the books. Whatever works for your schedule.

Again, welcome to BookTalk.org. Let me know if you have any questions. :-)
MrMarkP37
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Crystalline: Thank you for the encouragement. I've actually completed 15 novels. One of them was published by a small press in 2008, but it did not do very well. Earlier this month I self-published one of my books on Amazon. I continue to try to break in through the more traditional venues, but it is not at all easy.

Chris: Thank you for taking the time to run this place. It seems like a great community for bibliophiles. I agree with you, part of being a good parent is being a happy and balanced person. You have to take time for the things that make you happy and reading certainly does make me happy.

I don't have HBO and have not seen Game of Thrones, but I have been intrigued by some of the things I've heard. I think I will pick up a copy of the book. I'd love to join the discussion.
Crystalline

Unread post

15 novels - WOW!!! I know about trying to break in through traditional venues. I mailed out 71 query letters and got 71 rejections, self published through Wasteland Press. Harlequin in their London office kept me dangling for a year, mailing me an e-mail now and then saying that the editors were still looking at my manuscript, and finally said "no".
MrMarkP37
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Yeah, I wrote my first novel when I was 18 and have written at the pace of about one a year from that point on. It normally only takes me about two months or so to write a book, but every time I finish I take about a month off. Then I work on some short stories and then I have another idea for a book and I start to write another one.

The first few were dreadful, but they were part of a learning process, so I still love them. I do believe that three of them are worthy of being sold: The one that I published on Amazon, and the two latest ones, which I have yet to really query about.

I don't know if I will ever break through or not. I used to have an eighteen-year-old's optimism, but those days are gone.

To be able to make a descent living doing nothing but writing would be great. What would be better would be to have an audience that truly enjoys my writing and wants to read more. Giving that kind of pleasure to people (the way that other authors have given me pleasure throughout my life) would be a wonderful thing.

Time will tell on that score.
Crystalline

Unread post

I found writing to be a difficult task, perhaps it's my age. I'm 70+ :)...
Painting is easier...
Take a look at my website: www.VictoriaNorvaisa.com

What's the title of your book on Amazon?
MrMarkP37
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

It's called: Beneath the Mask of Sanity. It's a thriller about a serial killer who likes to stalk an entire family. He becomes friends with the eldest daughter so that he can experience their misery right along side them as he tries to kill them one by one.
MrMarkP37
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Your website looks amazing. Very well designed. Those paintings are breath-taking. I have never had talent in drawing or painting, and I have a great admiration for those who do. "Remembrance" was my favorite. So beautiful.
Crystalline

Unread post

Thanks, glad you liked them. I'll look up your book and "look inside".

Return to “Everything Else”