• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One: Prologue through 07

#128: Mar. - May 2014 (Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One: Prologue through 07

Unread post

I am so excited! I don't watch the TV series, but I do have all the novels which I have wanted to read for a while. Great pick for a discussion, I'm looking forward to it!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Suzanne, the HBO series is soooo good. Normally I'd say stick with the book but the series is a masterpiece and so worth watching. I'm planning to start at Season 1 and watch every episode in preparation for the next season to start in April.
bfcochran12
Official Newbie!

Unread post

OH MY GOD I am coincidentally reading this book right now anyway! Perfect!
- BrendanCochran
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

bought kindle
djanet
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Its funny, i bought the book last summer and couldn't seem to get into it. I recently watched the HBO series and now I'm addicted. Looking forward to discussing the book with everyone.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

the HBO series is a great visual companion to the books as it really brings to life the graphic nature of the story. I reread the first chapters of AGoT and find that I am still motivated to have a go at the series once more. The characters in the beginning could never know whats to come, and a lot does. I am curious what
may be remarked on with regards to the naivete' or wit of the characters introduced thus far and those
that follow.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I started reading this book and quickly felt lost amid all the characters, their names and nicknames. The author introduces 30 characters in the first 38 pages of the book. I felt like maybe I needed to take notes as to who was who…

Martin’s writing style and descriptions are good, but so far I find no main character, or a couple of main characters. It bothers me somewhat that the younger characters are so young, the girls of 11 and 13 are betrothed and/or married off to adult men, or women brutally raped.

I do like finding a phrase here and there that has meaning beyond the story:
Page 47 – “…half of them don’t dare tell me the truth, and the other half can’t find it…”
Page 57 – “…all dwarfs may be bastards, yet not all bastards need be dwarfs…”
Page 98 – “…different roads sometimes lead to the same castle…”

So far, the most intriguing characters for me are the rebellious Arya, and Jon, her bastard brother.

Reading on…
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

The age of the girls and their treatment is disturbing to our modern censes, but its use is to give credence to the barbarity of the story, the same applies to the raping of the woman. ( men are raped as well, GRRM does not discriminate when it comes to the treatment of his characters) This guy has been writing for a long time and he uses many tricks, one of them is strength in numbers, hence so many names to remember, its just a case of slight of hand to keep us guessing. The books have maps and lists of families with some of their histories use them they help. remember GoT is just the first book, there are five on store shelves and at least 2 more coming. I don't want to spoil anything but I like Arya as well, Jon is deep. As always think about naivete' and wit.
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

Crystalline, taking notes is not a bad idea! I am horrible at names and I had the benefit of having someone at my side while watching the series at first to help me understand what was going on until I started to be able to remember on my own who was what. The lists of the major players at the back of the book can be a huge help but I've generally found that keeping a notepad beside me and jotting down important stuff helps, especially in these books. I have read all the books out so far and watched all of the HBO shows out at this point (Chris, I'm right with you about re-watching everything before the next season is out) but really what helps most is familiarizing yourself with the main families. The individual characters in these books come and go rather quickly, but which family they come from can usually help (but not always) show what their major motivations are. I really like how unpredictable this plot line is as opposed to the standard good guy/bad guy > conflict > good guy wins formula of so many fiction books or series.

Return to “A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One - by George R. R. Martin”