• In total there are 18 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

"Theoretical physics is not an autonomous science; it is subordinate to metaphysics..."

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: "Theoretical physics is not an autonomous science; it is subordinate to metaphysics..."

Unread post

What is this?

I told you long ago that science engages in metaphysics and at the time you denied it.
Are you conceding the point here by sending me a cartoon narrative?

Note that by "engaging in metaphysics" I did not, nor do not mean to the extent that Yahweh' stepson is implying in this thread.
Last edited by ant on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: "Theoretical physics is not an autonomous science; it is subordinate to metaphysics..."

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:[
Several weeks ago stahrwe estimated the group would start publishing info this Summer. You can't rush Science.
Wait for it... You can't prove a negative! Boom!
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I told you long ago that science engages in metaphysics and at the time you denied it.
How could science engage in metaphysics? Scientists may, depending on their field. If I ever denied this, I was wrong. Formulating hypotheses is more philosophy than science in my opinion.

Do you have the quote where I denied it?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

deleted [with prejudice]
Last edited by ant on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dexter wrote:
LanDroid wrote:[
Several weeks ago stahrwe estimated the group would start publishing info this Summer. You can't rush Science.
Wait for it... You can't prove a negative! Boom!

"The world would be better off without religion"

wait for it..,

You can't support a premise with counterfactual fantasies!

BOOM!
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:You can't support a premise with counterfactual fantasies!
I don't get it. :?:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams

Return to “Science & Technology”