• In total there are 43 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Godel and the end of physics - a talk by Stephen Hawking

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Godel and the end of physics - a talk by Stephen Hawking

Unread post

I wish I had time to read everything I have to read, let alone need to read including comments to posts on BT but alas I don't so I ask your understanding if I post things I find interesting. I have lost many thought provoking articles when I tried to return to them only to find I have either lost or misplaced the links so I am resorting to a backup of sorts using booktalk.

This article is very interesting. I am a fan of Godel and Maxwell, though I did not realize how significant Maxwell's equations were in areas other than EM theory.

Godel and the end of physics*

*the url uses the word 'physics' the article refers to 'universe.'
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Godel and the end of physics - a talk by Stephen Hawking

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:I wish I had time to read everything I have to read, let alone need to read including comments to posts on BT but alas I don't so I ask your understanding if I post things I find interesting. I have lost many thought provoking articles when I tried to return to them only to find I have either lost or misplaced the links so I am resorting to a backup of sorts using booktalk.

This article is very interesting. I am a fan of Godel and Maxwell, though I did not realize how significant Maxwell's equations were in areas other than EM theory.

Godel and the end of physics

This looks like a gem of an article I will save for this evening.

Skimming it over, this caught my eye:
The real reason we are seeking a complete theory, is that we want to understand the universe and feel we are not just the victims of dark and mysterious forces
Again, I may be taking it entirely out of context but on face value I'd say, yes, of course we are looking for meaning and purpose beyond daily plebeian matters .
However, there are those who are deeply satisfied with the conclusion that the universe is simply a happy coincidence and nothing more.
Last edited by ant on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:I wish I had time to read everything I have to read, let alone need to read including comments to posts on BT but alas I don't so I ask your understanding if I post things I find interesting. I have lost many thought provoking articles when I tried to return to them only to find I have either lost or misplaced the links so I am resorting to a backup of sorts using booktalk.

Godel and the end of physics*

*the url uses the word 'physics' the article refers to 'universe.'
This was a great article, some of which became quite technical and perhaps difficult for a layman such as myself to completely understand.
The article however was essentially Hawking conceding that we will perhaps never achieve full explanatory power with a TOE.
I also noticed Hawking once again is engaging in philosophy despite his documented claim that "philosophy is dead."

I simply do not believe homo sapiens have the necessary intellectual prowess to boast about "Great Truths."

I still love my iPhone though.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

stahrwe said I have lost many thought provoking articles when I tried to return to them only to find I have either lost or misplaced the links so I am resorting to a backup of sorts using booktalk.
Feel free to continue doing so, but it would be much more efficient to install something like the X-Marks add-on to your browsers. Your bookmarks are backed up in the cloud and available on all browsers and devices you have X-Marks installed.

http://www.xmarks.com/
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

Return to “Science & Technology”