• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Tempesta's Dream: Chapters 25 through 30

#127: Jan. - Mar. 2014 (Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

calaf68
Creative Writing Student

Re: Tempesta's Dream: Chapters 25 through 30

Unread post

Chapters 25-26

Now Giovanni is preparing to leave for New Orleans. I think his last day at Angelo's is touching, and when he sings that wonderful Neapolitan song, Non ti scordar di me, it is very emotional for him. Here is Claudia Villa singing that song. Every Italian who thinks they can sing, truly believes this is the reaction most young women have when they open their voice and sing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By9EcaYz9kE

Then it is off to New Orleans and his first opera.
Last edited by calaf68 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
calaf68
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Chapters 27-29

New Orleans. The jet lag aspect of his arrival in New Orleans is thanks to a real tenor who read an advance copy of the book. He discussed with me how jet lag is a killer for a singer and can really tax the vocal chords.

Royal Street in New Orleans. Have to provide two pictures. One of royal street and one of the Napoleon House.
http://postcardexchange.net/royal-stree ... w-orleans/

https://www.google.com/search?q=Napoleo ... h&imgdii=_

Here are some pictures of the old French Opera House in New Orleans, which burned down.
http://www.storyvilledistrictnola.com/frenchopera.html

Lastly, the shores of North America hear that voice sings "Che gelida manina" from La Boheme. And their hearts are won over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiTHjfmSyQU
Last edited by calaf68 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
calaf68
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Chapter 30

I do like how at the concert in City Park, Giovanni sings that forgotten aria, Io conosco un giardino, about a hidden garden, and remembers his love.

It is a beautiful aria and here it is sung by Giuseppe di Stefano. When you hear the phrase "A touch of sun on the voice," this is what they are referring to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=114837Iuh3o

Without going into specifics, I really want to know did you foresee what would happen in New Orleans. No way.
Last edited by calaf68 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

This may be a duplicate post. I'm posting this for the second time, don't know why first post disappeared???
I did not forsee what happened in New Orleans. I expected him to go on to the Met.

I finished the book. Every book is a labor of love and the author certainly shows his love for opera, and music in general, in this book. There were some very good things and also some not so good things in this work, as there is in every other book or art form. I liked the ending. I would recommend "Tempesta's Dream" to opera buffs and music students. The snippets of arias and pictures of Italy made the story come alive for me.

I apologize for ending my comments at this time (half-way through the discussion), but I need more time for my art work, as I do most of my painting in the wintertime. Perhaps my comments were too extensive and I'm sorry if I offended anybody. Wishing the author all the best in all his future endeavors. Ciao!
www.VictoriaNorvaisa.com
calaf68
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I loved, and respected, all of your comments. I agree that all books have parts that work and parts that don't.

Thanks for participating. Your works of art are lovely and you are very talented.

Ciao.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

The trip to New Orleans surprised me. As I read the book I thought the author was Italian, and even that the book could be a translation from Italian to English. But introducing the USA suddenly dragged the book into the modern world, from a Milanese context that could almost have been set in the nineteenth century.

It made me wonder how New Orleans is coping with the aftermath of the big hurricane, which doesn't get a mention.

I could have imagined Giovanni winning the competition, eloping with Isabella, or some other story line. But obviously this is about how he deals with setbacks and disappointments.

There is a dark hint about the judge's links to the mob. I thought more might come of this.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calaf68
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

The novel was set in 1979. The reason for picking that date has to do with Alfredo's age at the time La Scala was bombed. So, I first set how old I wanted him to be and worked from 1943 till the year I needed.

Hurricane Katrina happened in 2005. I know it well as my home was lost in Katrina. But we have rebuilt and the City has come back stronger than ever.

Is Katrina within those pages? You bet. When you lose everything and are knocked to your knees, faith, destiny, goodwill, family, etc all play a roll. The concept of keep moving forward, like Giovanni, is the key.

Return to “Tempesta's Dream: A Story of Love, Friendship and Opera - by Vincent B. "Chip" LoCoco”