• In total there are 53 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Return to Life by Jim Tucker, MD

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Return to Life by Jim Tucker, MD

Unread post

Just heard about this book on NPR through an interview with the author, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Virginia (so he must be okay!). It concerns the memories that children have had of other lives, memories that disappear with the arrival of the age of reason. I didn't realize that so much had been been written about this. Tucker appears to be the most prominent researcher in the area. Somebody might question even putting this in the category of science, but in principle there's nothing wrong with investigating any topic scientifically. I recall being surprised when Sam Harris said that science should further look into reincarnation.

The possibility discussed: consciousness may exist independently from what we understand as matter.

The Daily Mail has a good article. I don't know the reputation of that newspaper; it seems to go a little toward the sensational. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nated.html

http://www.npr.org/programs/weekend-edition-sunday/
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: Return to Life by Jim Tucker, MD

Unread post

Well it sounds convincing if you take everyone at their word. It's not too hard to imagine an elaborate hoax.

He probably should have just left out his explanation of "blah blah quantum mechanics."

And the bit about the kids choosing their parents takes it to a whole other level beyond just consciousness existing outside of matter.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Return to Life by Jim Tucker, MD

Unread post

DWill wrote:Just heard about this book on NPR through an interview with the author, a professor of psychiatry at the University of Virginia (so he must be okay!). It concerns the memories that children have had of other lives, memories that disappear with the arrival of the age of reason. I didn't realize that so much had been been written about this. Tucker appears to be the most prominent researcher in the area. Somebody might question even putting this in the category of science, but in principle there's nothing wrong with investigating any topic scientifically. I recall being surprised when Sam Harris said that science should further look into reincarnation.

The possibility discussed: consciousness may exist independently from what we understand as matter.

The Daily Mail has a good article. I don't know the reputation of that newspaper; it seems to go a little toward the sensational. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nated.html

http://www.npr.org/programs/weekend-edition-sunday/

Thanks for this post, DWill. I have heard of this and have been mildly interested in reading up on it.
I think it would be an area of interest that a materialist would definitely allow his/her personal bias to immediately dismiss as a grand conspiracy or an "elaborate hoax."

However, I'd be interested in knowing exactly how these children were examined, particularly how they were prompted to express themselves and how they were questioned.

As you might recall long ago when the paranoia of child abuse scandals was the front page news story every morning, a great deal of those allegations were found to be groundless/bogus due to the manner in which the children were being questioned by "experts." Many of the tales of abuse were prompted by the manner of questioning.

Return to “Science & Technology”