• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 742 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

Lulu or Createspace

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
sportourer1
Master Debater

Lulu or Createspace

Unread post

Help! I just cannot choose between these two options. I need a POD method that will be as low cost as possible but receive maximum distribution. There are so many pros and cons for both that I just go round and round in circles.
NJ Slater
Busygirlbooks
Creative Writing Student

Re: Lulu or Createspace

Unread post

I don't have any experience with Lulu, but I can tell you I have been completely pleased with Createspace. I bought a package deal that included cover design, interior design and a round of editing. I spent quite a lot on it but felt like for my first book I just couldn't learn quickly enough how to do the design functions well, and I had read in several places that I would not be able to edit for myself and should invest in an outside professional opinion. I actually used 2 editors, the first was someone I found on the internet and the second round was the Createspace assigned editor.

I was completely thrilled with the cover and interior designs. I felt like they both captured the message of my book and reinforced it well.

The editor from Createspace gave me some opinions that conflicted with my first round of editing, but they were professional and well considered. I used most of her suggestions and just ignored the things that I felt were in conflict with the first round when I liked that viewpoint better. She had some great ideas that my first editor had not proposed, so I felt like the combination of the two was balanced and well worth the expense.

I can't speak to how the distribution might differ between the two. I have taken advantage of the author pages offered by Createspace for free in the UK, France, and Germany but have so far not seen any sales in any of those 3 regions. I have just received my third shipment of books to sell myself and can tell you that the quality has been great. Out of 130 books so far I only received 1 which had a problem, it was printed with a different book cover. I am saving it as a collectible item for when I make it big :)

Hope this is helpful information, Stacey
Please check out "The E Word" at: http://www.amazon.com/The-word-entitlem ... t_ep_dpt_1

My book is about my successful journey to recognize and overcome a false sense of entitlement and how I have seen this challenge affect the lives of others.
Stacey Martin
Jessie Diamond
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I used CreateSpace also and like it as well. You definitely want to do a Kindle version, too.
YOU ONLY DIE TWICE: Only one thing scares FBI Agent Andy Knight more than not catching a serial killer—becoming one, just like her father.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Only-Die-Twic ... +die+twice]amazon.com/You-Only-Die-Twice-catching/ ... +die+twice
sportourer1
Master Debater

Unread post

I have Kindle versions of both my books. The first issue to resolve is the dreaded tax withholding!
NJ Slater
sportourer1
Master Debater

Unread post

Another issue appears to be the cost of receiving copies of your own book if do not live in America
NJ Slater
DouglasRPitts
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Createspace will help with publishing a Kindle e-Book, and Lulu will help with publishing a Nook e-Book. As long as you don't claim exclusivity with either, you can use both.

Douglas R Pitts
author of "144 Aphorisms"
AuthorKarliciaLewis
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I have to say I was impressed with CreateSpace. The process wasn't complicated, and customer service responded in a timely manner. The only thing that gave me trouble is modifying the template so that my chapters wouldn't start so far down the page. Once customer service assisted me with this issue, it was smooth sailing! Hope this helps!
Karlicia Lewis
Author of "Stop Saying Yes to Mr. No Good"
http://www.AuthorKarliciaLewis.com
Nathan Kane
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I went with CreateSpace over Lulu because of the Amazon backing. Although it hasn't been hitting the public news, Amazon has been buying out many publisher and print houses. They're trying to corner the market.

I figured, being a new author and completely unheard of, it would be my best bet to go with Amazon tied CreateSpace. I have no regrets thus far.

♥ Nathan Kane
Paranormal / Horror Author of "Darkness Reaching" by Nathan Kane
Please come visit my Blog: Inside a Twisted Mind
My New Book: Darkness Reaching (kindle) -or if you prefer- Darkness Reaching (paperback)
SFREEMANGA
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I can't comment on Lulu (having not used it), but my experience with CreateSpace has been positive.
Jimmy Perrin
Official Newbie!

Unread post

CreateSpace is where I first started out and now on my 7th book, I have no regrets at all.

http://www.jgperrin.co.uk

Return to “Author's Lounge”