• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 742 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

Is this a rejection letter?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bionov
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Is this a rejection letter?

Unread post

I’ve received my share of rejection letters, but this response from a publisher who had asked me to send them my manuscript for, "The True Virus", has me a bit puzzled.

“Honestly, we are interested, but just can't make the time in the schedule for it. It wouldn't be fair to you for us to take it knowing that we won't touch it for more than a year.”

I did reply to them and said that I would go ahead and self publish my new thriller and maybe when they could fit it into their schedule , I would be willing to give them the rights to go ahead and publish my novel.

Now my questions to my fellow authors are: (1) Does their response after looking at my manuscript sound like a “rejection”? (2) Does my reply seem reasonable and might still keep the door open? –or- (3) Should I just self publish and forget them?
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Re: Is this a rejection letter?

Unread post

It's a rejection letter. They don't want their company to look bad, although it does make them look bad. From my experience, a straightforward, "We don't want to publish it," is better than coaxing and also shows some integrity.

My advice would be to keep sending out queries. As long as you don't sign a contract or make it implied that you are "exclusively" working with the publisher, you should be fine.

My rule. Do not wait on any publisher. If its good for one. It's good for another.

As you go through the process of looking for a publisher you will get all kinds of letters, most will be rejections, especially from major publishers; they simply get so many books and also the books they publish tend to have agents who already have solid reputations.

Advice. Seek out publishers that publish the books you read and enjoy. They already have a vibe for what you're into.

Agents are nice, but you might have to do rewriting. Never take on an agent with more than ten clients nor an agent who wants you to pay cash upfront. Only take an agent who will get paid once the book is sold and the deal is done.

Don't give up. It's a process on the nerves and mind.
bionov

Unread post

I should given a little more background on my workings with this publisher. It was about a year ago when they first saw the manuscript for my thriller novel – “The True Virus”. They said they were interested in it, but wanted me to make some changes. I did make some of the revisions they asked for and resubmitted it. I hadn’t heard from them in over six months, so I asked for the status of my revised manuscript. The above letter I quoted was their reply.
I might add that they are a small publishing house and I’ve noticed that novels they’ve scheduled for certain dates have been rescheduled and finally published as much as a year latter.
Crystalline

Unread post

It's hard for a first time author not to hope and wait for a publisher. I sent out many query letters and got many rejections. The Harlequin office in London kept me dangling for a year, and the final answer was "no". Then I self-published :), and am happy I did. It has been an exciting adventure...
cbostic
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I agree with Brooks. This is definitely a type of rejection. They have sort of left the door open, but I'd say it's little more than a sliver of a crack.

The way I interpret it, they're pretty clearly saying 'go find someone else.' Maybe they'll take it in a year if you check back in, but I wouldn't wait. I'd be far too anxious waiting, especially since it seems far less than a sure thing that they'll take you on in a year from now.

Your response was fine. I don't expect you'll hear anything more from them, but I could be wrong.

Return to “Author's Lounge”