• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 836 on Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:57 pm

Beginning Creative Writing by Stephen P. Byers

An open-minded and nonjudgmental place for sharing your personal writing, seeking feedback, and reading and discussing the writing of your fellow members.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
StephenPByers
Almost Comfortable

Beginning Creative Writing by Stephen P. Byers

Unread post

I had a visitor recently who came in with 300 + page MS asking for a critique. As usual, I offered a preliminary scan and promised a comment within 24 hours. I quickly gave up as I tried to untangle a word jungle of verbosity that obviously she created without any plan. When I finished the first couple of pages they looked like a chicken with muddy feet had walked all over the MS. Then came the hard part; writing a negative report that I knew before I began would dash her dreams. The sad element is the situation was so easily avoidable. Everything we do in life is planned and a book should be no different. I know very well my target is not published authors; it’s beginners of any age venturing into fiction writing. Why is it that someone who wants to write a story, barges into the writing process without a plan? Because I felt so badly about spoiling her dreams, I offered a free interview to show her how to plan her story. She refused my offer and retreated with the comment she will finish her manuscript without my assistance. The best I could do was give her a free copy of my book, “Beginning Creative Writing: A Learning Experience” that I recently posted in the Non-Fiction Forum of BookTalk. A person named Valerie Lindsey posted the following customer review on Amazon:

QUOTE: Mr. Byers gives many examples throughout to help the aspiring writer in how to construct, compose and edit a story. The author also provides valuable websites to aid in finding additional information (e.g., grammar and editing your finished product).
The story forming process is a great tool for those unsure of where to begin and an excellent alternative to developing an outline. All in all, a great resource. UNQUOTE
"Go into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God that shall be better than light and safer than a known way." (Minnie Louise Haskins (1875-1957)

Return to “Creative Writing”