• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Are we alone? The Drake equation

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Are we alone? The Drake equation

Unread post

Science strictly practiced is an attempt to ultimatley bring theory and fact into agreement. That can only be achieved by testing and a search for confirmation or falsification.

Having said that, please tell me how the Drake E can be anything but abstract speculation at best.

Should we just "do the math" to prove it?
Thats would be circular reasoning would it not?
It's abstract speculation, not science. Fun and useful abstract speculation, since it causes us to ask questions, and helps to form hypotheses to test. If you're uptight about categorizing it to ensure it doesn't falsely masquerade as science, you can call it philosophy.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

It's abstract speculation, not science. Fun and useful abstract speculation, since it causes us to ask questions, and helps to form hypotheses to test.
Oh is that what you call it? I thought most of us here thought it was science?

How does this abstract speculation of exo planets hosting life lead to a testable hypothesis?
Do you think it will eventually lead to testability?
You're an evidence guy.., what evidence do you have to make that claim?
Or is this another one of your faith disguised as "confidence" moments?
Last edited by ant on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

How does this abstract speculation of exo planets hosting life lead to a testable hypothesis?
Ha! Why are you pretending to grill me on this? I was speculating that it was speculation. I'm not even sure what the Drake equation is! Go ahead and tear that apart ant, you bulldog!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:

Ha! Why are you pretending to grill me on this? I was speculating that it was speculation. I'm not even sure what the Drake equation is! Go ahead and tear that apart ant, you bulldog!

Right.

I like to speculate that Exo Planets might have unicorns and fairies.
It's totally reasonably scientific if we plug in the symbols for unicorns and fairies into the equation.
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

I think it is a little narrow to assume that any sort of intelligent life out there is necessarily interested in contact with us. We tend to project our values outwards, as for us, this topic seems interesting and important. But when we just look at the diversity of life on this planet, we can visualize how potentially it could be even more vastly different in the cosmos. We evolved as simian tribes, pushed to survive on the African savannah. Other forms of sentient life may have a completely different story, along with vastly distinct approaches to things like curiosity, social bonding, empathy, urges to explore, etc.

And given the time spans involved, many alien life forms could have evolved far beyond the point of being motivated to open communication with us. This may seem hard to accept, as we are at the apex of intelligence on earth, but for other beings we might be a modest repeat of something seen a million times before. Incidentally, sci-fi author Stanislaw Lem covered this topic in his book Golem 14.
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

It's your right to speculate what you wish. Unicorns and fairies would likely appear normal against the backdrop of other potential lifeforms. I'd like to see some monstrous Cthulian space whales that drop their seed onto planets.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
It's your right to speculate what you wish. Unicorns and fairies would likely appear normal against the backdrop of other potential lifeforms. I'd like to see some monstrous Cthulian space whales that drop their seed onto planets.

Your speculation about life on Exo Planets very different from ours sounds delusional.
You must believe in God because you are going well beyond the empirical standards of Science.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

You must believe in God because you are going well beyond the empirical standards of Science.
Flawless logic.

Return to “Science & Technology”