• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Official Poll - Mar/Apr 2004 Book of the Month(s)

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
wrkelly
Almost Comfortable
United States of America

Re: Official Poll - Mar/Apr 2004 Book of the Month(s)

Unread post

This is directed primarily to AirPrang...Have you checked out local libraries? If your local branch doesn't have it, they can always get it via extensive interlibrary loan networks that pretty much all libraries have these days. Especially for older, or out-of-print books this is definitely the easiest way to go. (It's also the cheapest if you are like me and have no money.)Good luck.P.S. I'm going to vote for Shermer. Fits rather well with some personal reading I'm doing right now. (Oriental, esp Buddhist, vs Occidental religions, mysticism & philosophy, interesting differences and similarities in doctrine and faith.)
ecstian

Unread post

I vote for "How We Believe". I think that freethinkers should acquire as much understanding as possible regarding the critical topic of belief. Our lives are greatly influenced on a daily basis by those who believe. Hopefully Shermer will stimulate our thoughts and conversations regarding this topic.I also think that we will have a much broader discussion because belief is a very relevant and controversial topic.Eric Stamper
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Voted for Pale Blue Dot...
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I just tried to vote for Pale Blue Dot. I got some kind of error page saying something about a "failure". Please count me for Pale Blue Dot. I was torn between Sagan and Shermer, and finally decided to vote for Sagan.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

TaraDon't take it personally. At one time or another we all deserve to be called a failure. I'm sure EZBoard had a good reason for being so rude. "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

The poll is now closed and here are the results...Pale Blue Dot - by Carl Sagan 6 votesAndonicusZachSylvanusChris OConnorKatala AuLanDroidtarav(1 vote doesn't count - no name posted or emailed)How We Believe - by Michael Shermer 8 votesberntraven of missouriwrkellyCSflimNaddiaAoCNiall001Glory MatthewsecstianBetween War and Peace - Victor HansonpctacitusJeremy1952Our winner for March & April 2004 is Michael Shermer's How We Believe. I'll be contacting Dr. Shermer immediately and inviting him for a chat in early May of 2004. Please consider purchasing this book through the Amazon.com links throughout the BookTalk site. BookTalk is 100% ad-free, and this gesture will pay us a small referral fee. I would greatly appreciate your consideration. Thanks folks!Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”