• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Mormons and The Gay

#123: Sept. - Nov. 2013 (Non-Fiction)
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Mormons and The Gay

Unread post

Wendy and Tom Montgomery went door-to-door in their California neighborhood in 2008 campaigning for the passage of an anti-gay marriage proposition. They were among thousands of faithful Mormons following the direction of a church that spent millions on the cause.

Then they learned last year that their 15-year-old son is gay — a revelation that rocked their belief system. Now, Wendy Montgomery is leading a growing movement among Mormons to push The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to teach that homosexuality isn't a sin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... ostpopular
Although stories like this may be encouraging, they anger me. (Please watch video.) Why is it that so many with conservative values CANNOT IMAGINE the damage their views inflict until it affects their DIRECT FAMILY? A neighbor, friend, supervisor, acquaintance, or favorite celebrity may be gay and it does not budge their opinion one milligram. But once a son, daughter, or parent comes out - whoaaaa all of a sudden the light bulb finally goes on? Why is that - lack of imagination or empathy, peer pressure, or just downright stubbornness?
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Mormons and The Gay

Unread post

Personally, I put it down to what is often called the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) syndrome. I find this affects not only social, religious or political issues, but economic and environmental. An example is the question to drilling new oil wells in the United States. Many people who chanted "Drill, Baby, Drill" when Sarah Palin spoke to the Republic National Convention in 2008, suddenly took a different attitude when an oil or gas well was proposed close to their home, school, community, etc.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Mahree
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

When I read about the Mormon's and their feelings on gay liberation, it didn't surprise me. This is common in most religions. Intolerance. Unfortunately this is taught in holy books. I love to hear of stories like the Montgomery's where this way of thinking slaps them in the face, and I hope more are forced to face reality. My aunt was racist, lived in Detroit, hated the black race. We weren't brought up disliking any race. She was quite a snob, also. Her son went to Africa and met an African woman, fell in love and married her. I was elated! It put her in place. Sometimes hate is too deep to change. Who knows, her hate may have grown deeper.
"The Kennedy Half-Dollar" is an eclectic and unconventional true crime memoir.
The story is about a young woman, Seely, that finds herself caught in a nightmare with the Hawaiian Mafia. Her coworker is found dead in a cane field one morning and from that point on, Seely tries to escape their clutches. After many years she is forced to face her connection.

There are songs posted throughout the chapters. Play the music while you read. It maybe hard at first, but after the second or third song, it seems strange without. I could not write without music. What isn't expressed in my words is still in the song.
KayR
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!
United States of America

Unread post

I think some people just don't think very deeply about anything until it touches them personally. Remember at the Republican debate when audience members cheered about letting uninsured people die? It's just fun to be part of a select group and to have people support you in condemning someone outside the group. Sort of like those kids in Oklahoma who murdered the jogger because they were bored--they were with their buds, and this jogger was a "non-person" since he wasn't part of their group. Made it easy to kill him.
Mahree
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I feel bad.......I didn't pay attention to the "thank you" posts. I would have been saying thank you. So a big "THANK YOU!" for all the ones I missed.
When we were going through prop 8, here in CA, my son's girlfriend was over. I had the news on and there were protesters not far from where I live. She said she always wanted to protest on the streets. I laughed and told her to go make some signs. I asked if she was for or against gays marrying. She said they should be able to marry if they wanted. I told her to make both signs the same then. When we got out there on the busy street corner, there were Christian families with their children, some only 5-6 years old, teaching them to hate gay people. These cute little kids so vulnerable to imbedded opinion. I was furious and gave them hell (they couldn't have cared less). We moved across the street, I just couldn't bare watching these little ones being told to do this and they have know idea what they are doing. I consider that child abuse, screwing with their mind like that. Wouldn't hold in court, tho.
"The Kennedy Half-Dollar" is an eclectic and unconventional true crime memoir.
The story is about a young woman, Seely, that finds herself caught in a nightmare with the Hawaiian Mafia. Her coworker is found dead in a cane field one morning and from that point on, Seely tries to escape their clutches. After many years she is forced to face her connection.

There are songs posted throughout the chapters. Play the music while you read. It maybe hard at first, but after the second or third song, it seems strange without. I could not write without music. What isn't expressed in my words is still in the song.
RyanPoore
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Here is some more info on Proposition 8 and information the LDS Church sent to its members.
http://theblooddoctrine.com/reference.php#prop8

A few pieces of info from the LDS Church concerning homosexuality.
http://theblooddoctrine.com/reference.php#homosexuality

The involvement of the LDS church in the push on Proposition 8 really got under my skin. They had no business getting their membership involved. This proposition wasn't directly affecting any church. If the proposition was requiring them to marry same sex couples in their church then I wouldn't agree with that either.

The premise for my fictional novel The Blood Doctrine was based on this stance of the LDS Church on Prop 8. I decided to give them a dig. It is about an LDS Missionary who murders a gay man in Salt Lake City, UT.
The Blood Doctrine
Practicing past teachings, a Mormon missionary viciously murders a gay man in the avenues of Salt Lake City, Utah.
http://www.TheBloodDoctrine.com
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

:D
KayR
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!
United States of America

Unread post

Interesting bit of news in the Times this morning:

NY Times:Senate Bill on Bias Against Gays Finds Support in Mormons
Their support for including civil rights protections for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people is the latest example of a broader evolution by some of the most visible members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who have come to cautiously embrace gay rights. It is a remarkable turnabout from just five years ago, when the church faced a maelstrom of criticism for backing the initiative in California that took away the right of same-sex couples to marry.

Return to “The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion: The Mormons - by David Fitzgerald”