Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Ch. 7: Things to do in Mormonism When You're Dead: The Mormon Afterlife 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:08 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

Post Re: Ch. 7: Things to do in Mormonism When You're Dead: The Mormon Afterlife
Quote:
For example, according to his note for Fig. 1, Kolob is the first creation, nearest to the residence of God. One day in Kolob is equal to a thousand of our earth-years. Oh, and the ancient Egyptians apparently call our earth “Jah-oh-eh.”
That’s about all that makes sense in this paragraph, though we’re also told Kolob is: “First in government, the last pertaining to the measurement of time. The measurement according to celestial time, which celestial time signifies one day to a cubit.”
I recognize all these words, but together they make no sense. Perhaps they are only coherent according to celestial grammar...

:lol:

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:37 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore

Bronze Contributor 2

Post Re: Ch. 7: Things to do in Mormonism When You're Dead: The Mormon Afterlife
the entire idea behind http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/ is pretty weird.

But I get it! Marrying someone after they are dead, or baptizing them, etc. is pretty weird, too. At least to me.

How did anyone think that this would be considered a good idea? I wonder if there are any theological underpinnings, or if the Prophet spoke and so it is.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:49 pm
Profile YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

ginof wrote:
the entire idea behind http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/ is pretty weird.

:lol: i cheated, Mitt isn't 6 feet under yet, but i feel the conversion worked fine anyway :lol:

reminded me of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvhhCIvR8mo

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:00 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore

Bronze Contributor 2

well done!

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:39 pm
Profile YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Last night my husband and I watched a program about the FDLS. It featured a women who at age 18 married the then prophet Rulon Jeffs. Rulon was 85 at the time of their marriage. The interviewer asked about how she felt about the sexual relationship with the prophet. She said she was confused because the whole time she was intimate with him, she knew it was wrong and she abhorred the act. Rulon was unable to perform and it was embarrassing and degrading, for both of them. She prayed to God, she asked God to stop Rulon, but she felt God didn't hear her. She was confused because Rulon spoke often to God, she was taught that the prophet Rulon had conversations with God. Why didn't God/Rulon hear her? Does Rulon actually talk and hear God?

"THIS IS GOD RULON, YOU HAVE ED, STOP MAKING AN ASS OF YOURSELF"

The following user would like to thank Suzanne for this post:
youkrst
Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:19 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

Again, I recommend you check out "The God Makers," both the book and one or more of the videos available on You Tube. There is more about blood atonement in the book. :idea:

As I read this chapter, it made me think :? that if I were a woman, why would I want to be a Mormon, when the most wonderful thing I could hope to attain would be to be a celestial brood mare, constantly pregnant :cry: through eternity, bearing spirit babies to populate my god-husband's world? :?: :? :?: Okay, I am a man, and the only experience I have had with pregnancy is vicariously (through my wife and daughter).

But then, what do any of us Gentiles know about spirit pregnancy. :? How long does it last? Do your feet swell? Do you get morning sickness? :cry: Cravings? :?

P.S. if memory serves me correctly, a 'cubit' is an old unit of physical measurement (not time), defined as the distance from the elbow (bent) to the tip of the middle finger (no comments here, please :lol: ).

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:03 pm
Profile Email
One with Books

Silver Contributor

yes i was thinking about the word susceptible, as in we humans are very susceptible to letting that thing between our ears get us into trouble.

it seems the thing between our ears gets us in more trouble than the things between other parts of our body.

we really could do with a basic course, ok kiddies avoid this stuff if you can 101.

simply because we are so susceptible.

look at some of the synonyms

Quote:

definition of susceptible

adj exposed, naive

Common
Informal
Synonyms for susceptible

affected
easy
impressionable
inclined
liable
prone
ready
receptive
responsive
sensitive
vulnerable
wide open

aroused
be taken in
disposed
easily moved
fall for
given
gullible
impressed
impressible
influenced
mark
movable

nonresistant
open
out on a limb
persuadable
predisposed
pushover
roused
sensible
sensile
sentient
sitting duck

soft
stirred
subject
sucker
suggestible
susceptive
swallow
swayed
tender
touched
tumble for

The following user would like to thank youkrst for this post:
Cattleman
Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:27 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student

The problem is, you can't get to the children in any religion. This stuff is pounded into their heads from a young age with no outside influence to make them think there is another way to go. The young girls are brainwashed into believing what they are doing is right and even if they don't feel it's right, they have no escape route. Every religion brainwash the children from a very young age. It's sad!

The story is about a young woman, Seely, that finds herself caught in a nightmare with the Hawaiian Mafia. Her coworker is found dead in a cane field one morning and from that point on, Seely tries to escape their clutches. After many years she is forced to face her connection.

There are songs posted throughout the chapters. Play the music while you read. It maybe hard at first, but after the second or third song, it seems strange without. I could not write without music. What isn't expressed in my words is still in the song.

The following user would like to thank Mahree for this post:
youkrst
Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:06 pm
Profile Email WWW
Sophomore

Bronze Contributor 2

Suzanne wrote:
"THIS IS GOD RULON, YOU HAVE ED, STOP MAKING AN ASS OF YOURSELF"

Yes, that would be confusing. Hysterical in a sick way, but confusing.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:47 pm
Profile YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

This was another disappointing chapter that left too many questions. How did Mormon theology regarding the afterlife evolve over time? Is this the doctrine that may be responsible for the early growth of the church? Basically, the author just provides an imperfectly annotated and only partially legible (on Kindle) chart of the Mormon cosmology copied from some other source.

By the way (and a propos of absolutely nothing) I just noticed that the price of the Kindle edition was $6.66. Somebody in marketing had a sense of humor.

And speaking of humor--as I have nothing much to say about this chapter--if you haven't watched "Mr. Deity," it's a must see! Absolutely hilarious! http://youtu.be/Qzf8q9QHfhI

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:39 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Discussion Leader
BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

KayR I agree with your concerns to an extent, but we need to relax a little bit. This book is not intended as a rigorous investigation, see intro to Part 2, page 95:
Quote:
But frankly, Mormonism is like steampunk Scientology - chock full of so many wonderful, mondo-bizarro, sweetly racist, crackpot 19th century notions that we could pick any one of them and write a whole book on that alone. And since the entertainment value of religion is an important facet of this book series, there's one thing you can say about the Mormons on that score: they never disappoint.

On the confusion about what attracts believers to this religion, I think members of dysfunctional families would have huge reservations about spending eternity with a family you cannot escape. :P

Quote:
ginof says the entire idea behind http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/ is pretty weird.

Joyce Edwards is about to be VERY surprised! :lol:

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:54 am
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

LanDroid pointed out that
Quote:
the entertainment value of religion is an important facet of this book series

You're right--I need to accept what's given. I'm just frustrated because my curiosity has been piqued and I can't find any books out there that address my questions.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:16 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.