• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Ch. 3: The Saints Come Marching In

#123: Sept. - Nov. 2013 (Non-Fiction)
KayR
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!
United States of America

Re: Ch. 3: The Saints Come Marching In

Unread post

The author glosses over the expansion of church membership in the early 1830s. In 1831 Joseph Smith brought 75 followers to Kirtland, and by 1836 when the temple was completed,
some thousand men packed into the lower court for the dedication service, with another thousand Saints eagerly crowded around outside hoping to catch a spiritual contact high.
How did the Church expand so rapidly? OK, they had missionaries, but that doesn't explain anything. Where did those thousands come from? Then there are those "scrappy Mormon colonies" in Missouri since 1831--where did they come from? Just how big was the Church membership? How many other colonies did they have? Why were there colonies separate from Joseph Smith's group? There's a lot left unexplained here.
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

KayR wrote: How did the Church expand so rapidly? OK, they had missionaries, but that doesn't explain anything. Where did those thousands come from? Then there are those "scrappy Mormon colonies" in Missouri since 1831--where did they come from? Just how big was the Church membership? How many other colonies did they have? Why were there colonies separate from Joseph Smith's group? There's a lot left unexplained here.
I think the 'how' the the recruiting would be an interesting discussion. Some of it is hinted at with the person who was helping J Smith write the book of Mormon and put up the money, etc. However, there must be a 'gullibility' that does not seem to exist today, at least not to this degree with the early believers. One assumeption i am making is that the converts were actually "converted". they believed X and then became Mormons. But I think that is an assumption: they may have had no religion at all!
just thinking (I hope)
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

I am watching the Ken Burns "Dustbowl" documentary. There are a number of people who are saying (In response to a particularly large dust storm rolling in) things like "grandmom said it was the end of the world and we believed it" and "my brother said it was the end and I was scared".

Perhaps people were just more accepting of the opinions of others as fact?
just thinking (I hope)
KayR
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!
United States of America

Unread post

ginof said
Perhaps people were just more accepting of the opinions of others as fact?
When you think about it, people are still pretty gullible today, but we have access to more dissenting opinions than we did in the past--the glory of internet.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Good point, KayR.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Living in Ohio, the Kirtland story catches my eye... The Kirtland Temple still exists:

http://www.kirtlandtemple.org/index.html

Here's a "whitewash" of the Kirtland Safety Society incident. Note page 16 regarding the fake boxes of coins and page 18 claiming the court got the law wrong in convicting Smith and Rigdon.

http://www.fairlds.org/wp-content/uploa ... te-KSS.pdf

:261:

Return to “The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion: The Mormons - by David Fitzgerald”