• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The 4% Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: The 4% Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality

Unread post

There is NO such thing as gravity. Remember that I am a literalist. That trait applies not only to the BIBLE but to science as well. You said that gravity is the attractive force between objects with mass. You are incorrect.
My understanding of the word gravity is that it refers to the force that pulls us to the center of the Earth. There is such a force, regardless of whether or not we’re able to explain the underlying mechanism, and regardless of what word we use to refer to it. If you know absolutely nothing at all about what gravity is, then think of it as a placeholder term for the phenomenon that keeps our feet on the ground. Yes, there is such a thing as gravity.

That is the correct answer, and if you believe my answer is incorrect, it means you are incorrect(funny how that works). Not only about gravity, but about literalism applied to reality. Your only response is denial rather than defense. Which is fine. Have fun in the Stahrweverse. :lol:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: The 4% Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality

Unread post

I have been dropping hints in hopes that you would tumble to what I was getting at. Gravity is NOT a force.
In other words, the Earth’s orbit around the Sun is not shaped by some mysterious “force” acting across vast space. Rather, the Earth simply follows the shortest path in the warped spacetime caused by the Sun’s presence. To quote physicist John Archibald Wheeler: “Matter tells space how to curve and space tells matter how to move.”
Not a force
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

gonna read me some Wittgenstein
Last edited by youkrst on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

this Wittgenstein looks interesting enough, thanks for the heads up stahrwe
INTRODUCTION
By BERTRAND RUSSELL
Mr Wittgenstein’s Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, whether or
not it prove to give the ultimate truth on the matters with which it deals,
certainly deserves, by its breadth and scope and profundity, to be con-
sidered an important event in the philosophical world. Starting from the
principles of Symbolism and the relations which are necessary between
words and things in any language, it applies the result of this inquiry to
various departments of traditional philosophy, showing in each case how
traditional philosophy and traditional solutions arise out of ignorance of
the principles of Symbolism and out of misuse of language.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Gravity is NOT a force.
Is not the same thing as saying
There is no such thing as gravity.

But there are many interpretations in which gravity is in fact considered a force. To say that it is certainly not a force is wrongheaded. How do you know? We can't even be sure Einstein's equations are correct. I agree that gravity may very well be an emergent phenomenon from general relativity. But I'm not certain about it, as you seem to be. If you'd read my paragraph closely, you'd have seen me say "and regardless of what word we use to refer to it." Don't like calling it a force? That doesn't mean "there is no such thing as gravity".

But this is all a tangent. Gravity was an example of something that might be dogmatic in science, yet actually isn't. You've proven my point for me!!

To recap where you're wrong in this thread...

There is such a thing as gravity.
The 'dogmas of science' are not actually dogmas.
The age of the universe can be empirically justified.
Creationists have more of a problem explaining the age of the universe than scientists.
You don't need a PHD to comment on something.
Wittgenstein's writings do not support accusations of "Logical Sins".
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

I was trying to keep things simple. But, there is a fundamental difference between the concept of gravity as a force and the warping of space. Considered as a force, gravity is a force between objects. That is wrong. In some way mass warps space and objects move along lines in the warped space. In that conceptualization there is no force acting on the object(s) and therefore no gravity.

I assure you that there is sufficient logical justification to not merely indict, but to convict DAWKINS for, at the present time 7 logical sins. Further, this is not merely based on Wittgenstein but Tarski as well.

I think you guys are more in love with science than you love science.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:I assure you that there is sufficient logical justification to not merely indict, but to convict DAWKINS for, at the present time 7 logical sins.
:lol:

Dawkins, you stand charged with 7 logical sins (at the present time) how do you plead?

it's a fair cop your honour but society is to blame :D

stahrwe? could you possibly enumerate Dawkins 7 offences against logic?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Not on BT.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Return to “Science & Technology”