• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

A question to all published writers?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Nathan Kane
Getting Comfortable

Re: A question to all published writers?

Unread post

I have learned, you must build a strong online presence. All the toys - book clubs, twitter, g+, blogs, facebook, linkedin, marsocial, and your own website. And DO NOT SPAM your book. Build up an audience and only bring up your book occasionally. Spamming your book link only chases people away. Get them interested first, and then have that link to your book available for them to grab on their own. I foudn this to work best.

My current online presence is weak, but I am working on it daily.
I personally haven't got my website up yet. But it is a priority now.

♥ Nathan Kane
Paranormal / Horror Author of "Darkness Reaching" by Nathan Kane
Please come visit my Blog: Inside a Twisted Mind
My New Book: Darkness Reaching (kindle) -or if you prefer- Darkness Reaching (paperback)
M Eigh
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Like every author on this forum, I've tried everything and am still looking for new things to try.

But my most pleasant success comes from a complete Taoist "do-nothing" approach. Here's the story:

Prior to my latest book "KDP's Best-Kept Secret Revealed: How to Embed Videos and Widgets in Your Book Description," (http://amzn.to/1evdevT) I treated everyone of my prior releases with kid gloves. Rallying good reviews for them and worrying about their being bullied by some bad reviews. Angry that good reviews do not really translate into good sales number ... I was just like an over-protecting parent.

When "KDP's Best-Kept Secret Revealed: How to Embed Videos and Widgets in Your Book Description" was born on Sept. 7th, I was totally jaded. Been there, done that. Plus, it's a technical book -- there is hardly any room for me to glorify it.

So I just let the kid walk out of the door and go play in the neighborhood, thinking, "If he makes it he makes it. If not, it's just a book. I will write a better next one."

Three days passed with three brave souls actually purchased the book, at $9.99. Then a 5-star review kicked in.

What happened next were truly surprising.

1)One buyer who used the book (I will refrain from mentioning her name as she is in the erotica sector) raves about my book in FB indie author groups, driving a few new buyers to my book.
2)A well-known internet marketing expert (shame on me as I did not even know him and his famous newsletter,) by the name of Martin Kerrigan shot out a email blast, praising my book. It reads as follows:

==Quote below===
Two things today.

First KDP's Best Kept Secret. We all know what goes into your Kindle book description. Words. Targeted words designed to invoke a response.

WRONG!

Check this out:

KDP's Best-Kept Secret Revealed: How to Embed Videos and Widgets in Your Book Description

Amazing! Videos. Widgets. Images. An iframe showing all your books scrolling past. An opt-in form! Facebook. Twitter. Support via email, skype, phone or drums. $10!

I bought this without a second thought. Love it.

KDP's Best-Kept Secret Revealed: How to Embed Videos and Widgets in Your Book Description

==Quote above===

Naturally, that has created some buzz and purchase.
3)Other bloggers and authors start to recommend my book, including one fellow on GoodReads: http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/4892708-kdp-s-best-kept-secret-revealed

And I am sure more are to come. And I've manipulated nobody. I've bribed nobody. I don't even know these nice people who are benefiting from and recommending my book.
Kergan Edwards-Stout
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

My first book, I had no idea what I was doing, but as I have a background in marketing, I came up with a plan of attack. It was a decent one, involving all that everyone else above has noted, but the one thing I didn't know at the time was the timing involved.

For example, if you hope to get reviews in any of the major trade publications, such as Publishers Weekly or Library Journal, or retail magazines, such as Ladies Home Journal, etc., they may want anywhere from 3-6 months of lead time in order to consider your book for review or promo placement. Now, I don't know about you, but once I'm done writing something, I want it OUT THERE! :)

My first book took me 12 years on/off to write, and so I went ahead with my plan, and while I was lucky enough to get some great reviews and recognition, which translated into sales, I wonder what it would've been like if I had actually given myself the lead time needed.

I have a new book coming out in October, and for this one, I sent advance copies to all the major reviewers and made sure I made their deadlines. For example, as my book is a collection of holiday themed short stories, I wanted to makes sure that all the retail magazines I sent to had them months ago, as they plan those issues way in advance.

Of course, if you are publishing something as e-book only, your platform and timeline will be entirely different.

I guess my advice is: prior to launching any new book, think about who your audience is, where they are, and make sure you give yourself enough time to reach those folks. You want the demand to be there prior to your book being released, so that instead of looking every day, hoping someone has bought it, you immediately see the results of your hard work.

Waiting and having patience is difficult, but I'm hoping that a good plan and enough lead time pays off! We'll see! :)
Kergan Edwards-Stout is an award-winning director, screenwriter, and author. Gifts Not Yet Given will be published in October 2013. His debut novel, Songs for the New Depression, is the winner of the 2012 Next Generation Indie Book Award in the LGBTQ category, was shortlisted for the 2011 Independent Literary Awards, and was named one of the Top Books for 2012 by Out in Print and multiple other book review sites.
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

I agree with The Wizard and Mahree - you have to market and promote your book all the time. It's hard - harder than writing and time consuming - you could be writing another book. Do get yourself a website, it's probably one of the best marketing tools but again you have to promote it. Making a sale is still a big thrill - and I still check for sales far more often than I should!
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony

Return to “Author's Lounge”