Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Favourite short story in the horror genre. 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

Post Re: Favourite short story in the horror genre.
Thanks Suzanne, I remembered the Frederic Brown story, but again, no the author. Then, of course there is a variation that goes...

"The last human being on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a LOCK on the door."

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:18 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

You know what, this may be a good idea for a writing contest. What do you think? We haven't had one in a while. I think I will try to set something up. Anyone interested? Winners may win free books. 8)

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:53 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Much to my own embarrasment, I have not read enough Poe or Lovecraft to offer any of their stories.

The Great God Pan was one I enjoyed immensely, and when read for the second time struck a much more resonant chord with me.

I think some of the best short stories I have read were in the Books of Blood by Clive Barker. In the Hills, The Cities was magical, Rawhead Rex, Son of Celluloid they are all amazing. The first three books were the best, but I am reading the second set (volumes 4-6) at the moment. Barker has a flow to his prose that often makes them read like poetry at times.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:50 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

The Cask of the Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe, certainly inspired me when writing 'Deadly Prediction'. Poe's story is a simple one. The male narrator, annoyed at an old friend, takes him on a journey through his wine cellar, promising to sample a special Amontillado. Getting the friend drunk, he chains him up in an alcove and walls him up alive. That's it, simple but horrific. Nothing very visual which is why it's never wound up on film as anything more than a cartoon short. Maybe the Simpson's will have a go at it, they did Poe's Tell-tale Heart.

I was also inspired by the fortune teller automaton in the film Big. I thought they threw the concept away, it had great horror potential and I wanted to give it a starring role - what prediction do you not want to hear? Writing for me is an adventure, I truly wasn't exactly sure where Deadly Prediction was heading and when Fifty Shades hit. It was like a lightbulb switching on. I realised if I switched characters around and added the S&M sex, the female protagonist who enjoys giving up control, now has to take control to survive. Once I added the sexual angle it gave the story so much more contrast and graphic detail.

My three characters were now locked in a deadly ménage à trois and after that the story basically wrote itself. What started out as a tale of mystery and imagination, turned into an erotic thriller with bags of visual content for a film, which is always my aim. The locations, all in London and South East England, are on my website as is the first couple of chapters to read for free. I've self published on Amazon and am now testing out all the possible ways to publicise the story, including starting work on a Youtube trailer. I've set the price low for the moment to get the ball rolling. All reviews and comments welcome. Darcy Blaze

http://www.darcyblaze.com/

Attachments:
BigTweet3.jpg
BigTweet3.jpg [ 95.22 KiB | Viewed 1807 times ]

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:30 am
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

I'd have to say one of my favorites short stories is "Pickman's Model" by H.P. Lovecraft. He will always be one of my favorite authors.

Find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/barryhayesauthor or on Twitter @cpttyrene.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:53 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2