• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Introduction: Meet the Mormons

#123: Sept. - Nov. 2013 (Non-Fiction)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Introduction: Meet the Mormons

Unread post

Came home from vacation today and my copy was waiting for me. I cannot wait to get started.

Thank you Cattleman for leading this discussion. I have enjoyed your comments.
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

I had a classmate in business school who is Mormon. A great guy. We were room mates for our summer job. He's done very well for himself.

I also went to Temple Square when on a consulting assignment. I took the tour, which quickly moved onto my personal relationship with god. I ended it shortly afterwards!
just thinking (I hope)
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

I just finished reading the Introduction. So far, so good. The author seems a tiny bit snarky, but we'll see how that goes. Has anyone read up on Elizabeth Smart or any of the other girls who have been kidnapped and raped by Mormon men?
Avidreader26
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Am I okay to join in? I just finished the introduction
"So much working, reading, thinking, living to do! A lifetime is not long enough."- Sylvia Plath Image
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Avidreader26; you bet it's okay to join in; the more the merrier. :)

linda d: Yes, the author does come across as a bit snarky, and maybe even a bit snarkier(?). I am up to Chapter 5 (Polygamy), and you will find some rather cynical statements. :wink:

Thanks to all who are participating; it looks like this is going to be a good group. :D
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Mahree
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I'm on Chapter 4 and looking forward to discussing the Mormons. So far so good. I myself have only known one, but then I have spent all of my life, from a very young age, dodging all religions and religious dealers. What I find in common with all, is that violence played such a big part in their survival. I never knew anything about the Mormons, but they fall right in there also. How peaceful the world would have been without the belief in a God or Gods. Unfortunately, there will always be the weak and fearful looking for the cunning and suave to follow. Good thing Virgin Mary and Joseph Smith were not in the same era. Can you imagine what those two scheming minds could have done. Ouch!
"The Kennedy Half-Dollar" is an eclectic and unconventional true crime memoir.
The story is about a young woman, Seely, that finds herself caught in a nightmare with the Hawaiian Mafia. Her coworker is found dead in a cane field one morning and from that point on, Seely tries to escape their clutches. After many years she is forced to face her connection.

There are songs posted throughout the chapters. Play the music while you read. It maybe hard at first, but after the second or third song, it seems strange without. I could not write without music. What isn't expressed in my words is still in the song.

Return to “The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion: The Mormons - by David Fitzgerald”