• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Lone Star State of Mind

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Lone Star State of Mind

Unread post

While the denigration of texas is a common occurence and for good reason (indeed the flip-side of this matter being a case in example) I'd like to highlight someone who is not only a texan but also a member of a a group I prefer to denigrate, democrats, who recently did one hell of a job. A texas state senator, Wendy Davis, was engaging in a filibuster to stop the far-right Republican dream of outlawing abortions to protect women from becoming a reality. Here in Texas, apparently, a filibuster is something that requires stamina. By this I mean no potty breaks, no water, no sitting down, and please, do remain on topic! Well she didn't make it. The Republicans ruled her off-topic once they realized she was not about to call it quits. After all, sonograms of course have nothing at all in any way have anything to do with abortions. It was at this point the mob took over. The ill-prepared and blundering Republicans took too long to prosecute their shenanigans. The special session ordered by Rick Perry ended in a really special way. A glorious pie fight and no bill awaiting Perry's crayon were what was left.

The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Lone Star State of Mind

Unread post

:D classic :D

good to see some people expressing their opinion !

"by george, the natives are restless tonight"
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

It could become commonplace interesting in the land of ten-gailban. Really there can no better state to live in (could there?) than the crown jewel of southern strategy. There are crazier ones (S Carolina) and more dysfunctional ones (arizona) and many better ones but no better state to live in!
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Kevin wrote:There are crazier ones (S Carolina)
James Taylor

In my mind I'm going to Carolina. Can't you see the sunshine, can't you just feel the moonshine?
Ain't it just like a friend of mine to hit me from behind? Yes, I'm going to Carolina in my mind."
Kevin wrote:and more dysfunctional ones (arizona)
Ray Stevens

"God Save Arizona/She's under siege again/God Save Arizona/She's a front line of defense from the enemy within/She can handle the illegals/Protesting malcontents/God Save Arizona/From our own Federal Government."

last word from lynyrd skynyrd

"Give me a T for Texas, give me a T for Tennessee
Give me a T for Texas, give me a T for Tennessee
Give me a T for Thelma, woman made a fool out of me"
TheWizard
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Sorry - this was NOT an effort to stop abortions, this was an effort to stop the murder of children just weeks before they were born.

There is plenty or reasonable evidence to show that the unborn child in the third trimester is a thinking, living person capable of feeling pain and fighting for his/her life. Pro or anti abortion, you have no business terminating that life. The doctor who performs the surgery is a murderer and the woman who allows it is a fiend
Robert Brady
Author of The Fovean Chronicles
http://www.swordsandsorcery.com
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Hello TheWizard.

I enjoy spirited debate so I am glad you're here. Are you here? It's been awhile... anyway it's not surprising given my previous post that I look at this differently. Actually that's an understatement. But I want to focus for the moment on what I do agree with you about. It's not about abortion. Here is another point of disagreement: it's about contraception. Hey are you at all gladdened by the thought of all the people who are alive because of abortion?

Well I think the ten-galiban are riding off into the sunset to commit hari-kari or kabuki theatre - whichever they think will give them more of a pain-free martyr image.

Republican gummint is too big for women. It's too big for everything else as well... and Texas in a straight up vote would eject it in response. But maybe the Republicans can try encouraging the vote rather than suppressing it and gerrymandering it to Waco and back by giving the fetus a proxy vote.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Sorry yourkist, but let's give credit where credit is due.... Jimmie Rodgers (the Singing Brakeman) performed T for Texas, T for Tennessee in 1936, long before lynyrd skynyrd was even thought of.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:Sorry yourkist,
:D so you should be it's youkrst, not yourkist! :D sheesh, freudian slip or what :lol:
Cattleman wrote:but let's give credit where credit is due.... Jimmie Rodgers (the Singing Brakeman) performed T for Texas, T for Tennessee in 1936
absolutely! thanks for the catch there Cattleman, Jimmie Rodgers is the man!

i shall attempt to redeem myself with a quote
When it's peach pickin' time in Georgia
Apple pickin' time in Tennessee
Cotton pickin' time in Mississippi
Everybody picks on me

When it's roundup time in Texas
The cowboys make whoopee
Then down in old Alabama
It's gal pickin' time to me

Diodley, oley eh, diodley
Cattleman wrote:long before lynyrd skynyrd was even thought of.
indeed, they sang a song called "i ain't the one" so i should have known :)
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

No Freudian slip, youkrst, just 70+ year old eyes, further complicated by diabetic retinopathy. :( Anyway, my apologies. :blush:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

ahhh, gracious Cattleman, no problem at all.

sorry to hear about the diabetic retinopathy though! yuck! (i had to google it) sounds horrid.

i'm just hitting the half century myself so i may have all this to look forward to ...eeeek :x :D

Return to “Current Events & History”