• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 1: Warnings

#108: July - Sept. 2012 (Fiction)
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Ch. 1: Warnings

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:I don't remember the insulting movie. Can you refresh my memery Robert?
Apologies for my obliquity. Far be it from me to insult the prophet, blessed be his name.

Johnson is right about which film I meant. The Islamist reaction to the film bears passing resemblance to a zombie horde, an unthinking and unstoppable mass that is just one of the numerous plagues invading to destroy Western civilization. I don't think the monsters in WWZ bow down five times a day, but their brains are certainly switched off.

The reconquest of the USA at the end of WWZ might be comparable to the Reconquista of Spain from the Moors in the Middle Ages.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I thought I missed something in the book. I get it now.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Zombie infestation simulator!!

YAY!

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... simulator/
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Nora1
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

oblivion wrote:I can't believe I just ordered a book on Zombies. But dystopian literature is certainly the main course on the menu these days. Think about the highly popular "Hunger Games". Literature reflects the society from which it stems, intentionally or unintentionally. Think of Golding's "Lord of the Flies" or Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" ......or "1984". The list goes on and on. But I must admit, I enjoy dystopian lit. So, my Zombies should arrive tomorrow (you guys do realise that I probably won't be able to live this one down in my family, don't you?).
You and me both, oblivion. I wouldn't have but for my husband reading it and raving about it. :) I respect and 99% of the time agree with his reading choices. Glad he nicked onto it, I certainly enjoyed it.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

What did you think was handled well, Nora?

What do you think might have been done better?

I commented elsewhere that the first time i read through the book i was a bit lost, sometimes, when he returned to a cheracter that had already been featured earlier. It sometimes took me a bit to realize, "OH! This is that guy who fought at Yonkers!" which changed the light in which i viewed the chapter.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Nora1
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:What did you think was handled well, Nora?

What do you think might have been done better?

I commented elsewhere that the first time i read through the book i was a bit lost, sometimes, when he returned to a cheracter that had already been featured earlier. It sometimes took me a bit to realize, "OH! This is that guy who fought at Yonkers!" which changed the light in which i viewed the chapter.
You mention the recognition of the few repeated characters, yes, I agree with that. I've only read it once, and I'd bet I didn't catch every repeat. Brooks could have made more of an effort to write a few throw away lines that would refresh our memory as to where that character had been. OTOH, that may have taken away from the 'reporter-like' rhythm of the piece. If Brooks wanted to maintain the rhythm, some stuff would have to have gone by the wayside. And, to me, in the end, the connectivity didn't matter. In fact, now that I think about it I believe it generated more of a One World, One Heck of a Mess feeling. No one was given a break, no country, no set of people. There was no prejudice...........the zombies killed indiscriminately. Whatever got in their way.

I liked the "newspaper report" style of the episodes....for one thing it made the reader realize that this guy survived. No mean feat! But also it allowed for a more dispassionate view of the story. Something like that could easily have become mired in too much emotional moaning and groaning. This was clean, the reader provides their own emotional effect. And our own imagination is always the most potent for ourselves.

It's been a couple of months at least since I read it, so much detail has faded and left the general ambiance of the book.
The connection I most remember, at least partially, was the brother of the man killed/lost in the Paris underground. /shiver/ And of course North Korea. /more shivering/
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Hi Nora, welcome to Booktalk, and thank you for sharing your thoughts on The Zombie Wars.

I think this is a great book, and I feel the flat deadpan reporting style adds to the intensity and the satire.

Max Brooks is the scion of the greatest American satirist and prophet Mel Brooks, of Get Smart and Blazing Saddles fame. Some one posted a link to Brooks pater singing in the history of the world, just brilliant.

I think you have caught some of Brooks fils intention with the lucky to be alive feeling, after most people have been chomped by undead monsters. What a creepy thought! Almost like allowing India to sell antibiotics over the counter to build a breed of superbugs that will collapse the human population pronto. No one could be that dumb. Or piling CO2 into the air until we get an earthshattering kaboom. Some other species might be stupid enough for that, but not us homo sapiens. Only the chosen elite survive the apocalypse, like the 144,000 with Christ on Mount Zion in Revelation 14.
Nora1
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Ahhh, well. Every generation has it's own "the sky is fallingggggggg" routine.

Alarmist notions come and go, cynicism sets in, and it's the same old, same old. 'Till next time, of course. :)

Return to “World War Z - by Max Brooks”