• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Are you a fan of the TLC show "Sister Wives?"

#123: Sept. - Nov. 2013 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Are you a fan of the TLC show "Sister Wives?"

Unread post

Are any of you fans of the TLC show "Sister Wives?" I've been a big fan of the show and the Brown family since the show started and would love to talk to other fans.

Share your thoughts here on the show and/or polygamy in general.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Are you a fan of the TLC show "Sister Wives?"

Unread post

I'm surprised none of you watch this show. I'm also now starting to watch "My Five Wives."
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:I'm surprised none of you watch this show. I'm also now starting to watch "My Five Wives."
Chris, I've only seen one or two episodes of the show. My daughter moved out, and I only watched what I did because she had it on. But I'm really curious about your interest in the show. I guess I wouldn't have expected it!
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

we dont seem to get that show here. is it available online? i suppose i should just youtube it, but i find polygamy kind of sad in a way.

i have seen the odd doco on polygamy, the other night there was a show on about a girl who went to live with a polygamous goat keeping family.

that was kind of sad. (nice people though)

ahhh just youtubed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=399e_xSgpCI

hmmm polygamy doesn't seem to be the disease but rather yet another symptom.

i think this next one is far more telling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLAgJipp7Q
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Dwill,

I'm interested in Mormonism and Scientology simply because I've been exposed to them quite a bit in my life. As you know religion in general is fascinating to me, but these two religions are of special interest.

When I was 12 and 13 years old I lived in a Mormon foster home in Ohio. And today I live right next to the spiritual headquarters for the cult of Scientology. Both of these religions are so easy to expose as frauds and utter fiction that I cannot help but sit back and stare at them out of morbid curiosity. It is like trying to not turn your head when you drive by a nasty car wreck. To watch grown adults accepting the words of Joseph Smith and L. Ron Hubbard is intriguing, scary, but a bit funny too.

"Sister Wives" is fun to watch because it is a window into fundamentalist Mormonism and I'm a bit of a religion voyeur. I genuinely like the family and don't want them prosecuted. To me people should have the right to live in whatever social arrangement they like, as long as everyone is adult and consenting. My last foster home was the nicest of the foster homes I lived in and they were pretty serious about their Mormonism. During the years I spent in an orphanage and foster homes I had the opportunity to attend many different churches and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was BY FAR the best experience. The church is very warm and loving. I'd say it is the opposite of a Catholic Church.

The Brown's are good people and the 17 kids they have are not abused. I'd have traded my childhood for their childhood any day. Yes, Kody Brown is spread thin as a father. There is simply no way to be a close and loving father and husband to 17 kids and 4 wives. But the kids get an overdose of love and support from the rest of the family.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks for sharing those YouTube videos, youkrst.

I'm currently reading Becoming Sister Wives: The Story of an Unconventional Marriage so I'm getting the background details of how they all grew up, met and became one big family.

I do find quite a bit sad with their stories.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Dwill,

I'm interested in Mormonism and Scientology simply because I've been exposed to them quite a bit in my life. As you know religion in general is fascinating to me, but these two religions are of special interest.

When I was 12 and 13 years old I lived in a Mormon foster home in Ohio. And today I live right next to the spiritual headquarters for the cult of Scientology. Both of these religions are so easy to expose as frauds and utter fiction that I cannot help but sit back and stare at them out of morbid curiosity. It is like trying to not turn your head when you drive by a nasty car wreck. To watch grown adults accepting the words of Joseph Smith and L. Ron Hubbard is intriguing, scary, but a bit funny too.

"Sister Wives" is fun to watch because it is a window into fundamentalist Mormonism and I'm a bit of a religion voyeur. I genuinely like the family and don't want them prosecuted. To me people should have the right to live in whatever social arrangement they like, as long as everyone is adult and consenting. My last foster home was the nicest of the foster homes I lived in and they were pretty serious about their Mormonism. During the years I spent in an orphanage and foster homes I had the opportunity to attend many different churches and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was BY FAR the best experience. The church is very warm and loving. I'd say it is the opposite of a Catholic Church.

The Brown's are good people and the 17 kids they have are not abused. I'd have traded my childhood for their childhood any day. Yes, Kody Brown is spread thin as a father. There is simply no way to be a close and loving father and husband to 17 kids and 4 wives. But the kids get an overdose of love and support from the rest of the family.
Chris,
Thank you. I understand "religion voyeur." You have quite a story to tell.

We always talk here about rationality and critical thinking and how we humans just aren't rational in many ways. But what impresses me is to witness the fact that people just don't want to be rational. I think it's largely a choice, at least when it comes to religion.

Return to “The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion: The Mormons - by David Fitzgerald”