• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

The Divine Comedy: Purgatorio (Purgatory)

#121: June - Aug. 2013 (Fiction)
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: The Divine Comedy: Purgatorio (Purgatory)

Unread post

Hi Coco – you have a good point that it is unfair for Marcia to be damned in hell while her husband Cato gets to live in Purgatory.
cocochannel wrote:The website "http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITB ... nthome.htm" Provides an index with the names of the personages in the book. It explains who they are and what their relation to their story.
Links to Tony Kline’s translation and commentary are in the thread http://www.booktalk.org/dante-divine-co ... 14906.html This is the translation of The Divine Comedy that I have read, and I found it excellent.
cocochannel wrote: About Marcia, Cato's wife, Kline said in his notes that "Dante’s Convito treats her return to Cato as an allegory of the soul's return to God".
Yes, and a return to God is a sign of hope, whereas those in hell have abandoned hope. This description in full states Marcia is “noted for her integrity and nobility. For Dante (and for Chaucer) a type of the noble Roman wife. She was Cato’s second wife who yielded her to his friend Quintus Hortensius. When he died she married Cato again. Dante’s Convito http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12867/12867.txt treats her return to Cato as an allegory of the soul’s return to God. Inferno Canto IV:106-129. She is among the heroes and heroines in Limbo. Purgatorio Canto I:28-84. Virgil tells Cato so, and invokes her love for him. Purgatorio Canto I:85-111. Separated from Cato, by the stream that separates Purgatory from Hell, she can no longer move him.”
Dante’s Convito (The Banquet) states “Marcia returned to Cato, and entreated him that he would take her back in his fourth and Extreme Old Age, by which Marcia the Noble Soul is meant, and we can thus depict the symbol of it in all Truth. Marcia was a virgin, and in that state typifies Adolescence; she then espoused Cato, and in that state typifies Youth; she then bore sons, by whom are typified the Virtues which are becoming to young men, as previously described; and she departed from Cato and espoused Hortensius, by which it is typified that she quitted Youth and came to Old Age. She bore sons to this man also, by whom are typified the Virtues which befit Old Age, as previously said. Hortensius died, by which is typified the end of Old Age, and Marcia, made a widow, by which widowhood is typified Extreme Old Age, returned in the early days of her widowhood to Cato, whereby is typified the Noble Soul turning to God in the beginning of Extreme Old Age. And what earthly man was more worthy to typify God than Cato? None, of a certainty. And what does Marcia say to Cato? "Whilst there was blood in me [that is to say, Youth], whilst the maternal power was in me [that is, Age, which is indeed the Mother of all other Virtues or Powers, as has been previously shown or proved], I," says Marcia, "fulfilled all thy commandments [that is to say, that the Soul stood firm in obedience to the Civil Laws]." She says: "And I took two husbands," that is to say, I have been in two fruitful periods of life. "Now," says Marcia, "that I am weary, and that I am void and empty, I return to thee, being no longer able to give happiness to the other husband;" that is to say, that the Noble Soul, knowing well that it has no longer the power to produce, that is, feeling all its members to have grown feeble, turns to God, that is, to Him who has no need of members of the body. And Marcia says, "Give me the ancient covenanted privileges of the beds; give me the name alone of the Marriage Tie;" that is to say, the Noble Soul says to God, "O my Lord, give me now repose and rest;" the Soul says, "Give me at least whatsoever I may have called Thine in a life so long." And Marcia says, "Two reasons move or urge me to say this; the one is, that they may say of me, after I am dead, that I was the wife of Cato; the other is, that it may be said after me that thou didst not drive me away, but didst espouse me heartily." By these two causes the Noble Soul is stirred and desires to depart from this life as the spouse of God, and wishes to show that God was gracious to the creature that He made. O unhappy and baseborn men! you who prefer to depart from this life under the name of Hortensius rather than of Cato! From Cato's name a grace comes into the close of the discourse which it was fit to make touching the signs of Nobility; because in him Nobility reveals them all, through all the ages of his life.
cocochannel wrote: The statement by Cato saying that Marcia doesn't move him anymore weakens the analogy of her return to Cato to the return of a soul to God? She's in hell and will never see God again. Dante's in purgatory preparing himself for heaven. Surely, we can't just look at her life before death without analyzing it postmortem.
In Purgatory 1 Cato says “.Marcia was so pleasing to my eyes while I was over there, that I performed every grace she asked of me. Now that she is beyond the evil stream, she can move me no longer, by the law that was made when I issued out.”

For some reason Cato despite living before Christ is not in hell, but his good wife Marcia is. Tony Kline comments as follows when Cato is mentioned in Inferno 14: “Cato, the republican and lawgiver, type of the virtuous pagan. Cato who committed suicide rather than fall into enemy hands. Cato the champion of liberty. Cato, whom we will meet again, since the Mount of Purgatory is in his care. Dante accepts, it would appear, that Cato’s virtue outweighed his suicide, and perhaps that his suicide was a positive act in favour of freedom rather than a negative one of violence against the self. And he follows Virgil (Aeneid VIII) in placing Cato amongst the virtuous. His other source of information being Lucan (Pharsalia II).

And here is Kline’s comment on Cato in Purgatory

“Dante makes Cato the guardian of the Mount of Purgatory. Though a Republican, Dante treats him as a precursor of the moral Empire under Augustus: as a man who deliberately laid down his life in honour, Dante treats him as an exemplar of free will, his suicide for moral reasons being an exception to the rule that suicide is contrary to the teachings of the Church and a relinquishment or evasion of free will: and as a moral pagan, Dante treats him as an exemplar of the best in human moral practice and ancient philosophy. Cato is therefore sharply contrasted with Brutus and Cassius whom we left in the mouths of Satan, equally Republican enemies of Caesar but treacherous in their intent. The Republic is unimportant to Dante, whose emphasis is on a powerful sole ruler in temporal matters, mirroring God’s authority over the Universe, and the Pope’s over the Church. Dante is a thorough Imperialist, and prefers the rule of the single monarch, as God rules the whole Creation. It is rather Cato’s moral integrity he is celebrating, and the contrast of the honourable man who chooses his own death, in defeat, rather than the treacherous man who chooses malicious deceit and murder. It indicates Dante’s view that treachery and murder is not acceptable however justified the cause, and that suicide (but not murder or treachery) is acceptable if the cause is honourable enough. The one is an abuse of free will, the other a fulfilment of it. The first harms others: the second liberates the self.
Cato questions who they are, surprised at their exit from Hell, and Virgil, quickly and courteously, recapitulates Dante’s prior state, Beatrice’s intervention, and his own role as Guide. Dante, he says ‘seeks freedom’, while he Virgil has come from Limbo where Cato’s Marcia is, and Virgil affirms her love for Cato. She is a type of the noble and chaste Roman wife. Cato is unmoved, since inexorable Divine Justice has placed her the other side of Lethe, and the lower realm cannot influence the higher, but Beatrice’s wishes are enough. Cato it seems is worthy, though a Pagan, to be placed at the foot of the Mount he can never climb, because of his own nobility of spirit, moral worth, and supreme sacrifice. Marcia, like Virgil, despite her worth, must remain in Limbo. (Dante’s knowledge of Cato came from Virgil’s Aeneid VIII where as lawgiver, he is among the righteous, and Lucan’s Pharsalia II.)
Cato now tells Virgil to cleanse Dante of Hell’s foulness. After they have walked a little, like lost travellers returning to the path, he does so, wetting his hands in the dew and wiping Dante’s face, stained with tears of Pity, and then ties a rush around him, as instructed, the pliant marsh-plant, a symbol of humility, which is replaced as it is plucked, as the humble are replenished on the earth, those meek who shall inherit. The whole canto is full of natural beauty, the ‘eastern sapphire’ colour of the sky, ‘the tremor of the sea’, the stars and the dawn light, and is also full of the language of hope, with its planet of love, its reverend figure of Cato, its brightness, its feeling of purification, and with Dante’s inner relief and delight at exiting Hell.”
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

“The Earth renews: Justice returns, and the first Age of Mankind: and a new race descends from Heaven.” Purgatory 22 The whole world was already pregnant with true belief, seeded by the messengers of the eternal kingdom, and your words, mentioned above, were so in harmony with the new priests, that I took to visiting them.
Dante is preparing a vision of salvation. Here he cites the old myth of the Golden Age, a first time of justice, and a hope for planetary renewal. Dante’s view is that true belief is the basis of eternal harmony.
. Daniel despised food and gained wisdom. The First Age was beautiful, like gold: it made acorns tasty, to the hungry, and every stream, nectar, to the thirsty.
The Golden Age is the Vedic Satya Yuga, an old idea that moved from India through Babylon and the Bible to appear also in the Greek seer Hesiod, as the time of the rule of Saturn.

Those gyres above (and he lifted his eyes towards the sky) do not have long to turn before what my words may no longer say is clear to you. 24
The gyres of the sky are the orbits of the planets and stars. It is valuable to consider this imagery against real scientific observation, both from Dante’s time with the religious geocentric cosmology and for today with the astounding physical cosmology of modern astronomy.
Dante is saying that the cycles of the heavens move in ordered patterns. His understanding of these patterns was dim, in view of the primitive science of his time. But today we are able to quantify the order of the heavens with great accuracy.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Dante wrote:as the May breeze, announcing the dawn, moves and breathes, impregnated with herbs and flowers, so I felt a wind on my forehead, and I clearly felt the feathers move, that blew an ambrosial perfume to my senses: and I heard a voice say: .Blessed are those who are so illumined by grace, that the love of sensation does not fire too great a desire in their hearts, and who only hunger for what is just..
This is beautiful poetry, likening the illumination of grace to a pre-dawn May spring breeze full of the scent flowers and herbs. Dante associates the illumination of grace with the love of justice, and contrasts it to the love of sensation, the .
Dante wrote:Perhaps, in ancient times, those who sang of the Golden Age, and its happy state, dreamed of this place, on Parnassus. Here the root of Humanity was innocent: here is everlasting Spring, and every fruit: this is the nectar of which they all speak.. Then I turned straight back towards the poets, and saw that, with smiles, they had heard the last elucidation. Then I turned my face to the lovely lady.
As Dante climbs to the top of Mount Purgatory, purging everything evil and approaching divine enlightenment, he thinks of the Golden Age imagined by the Greek poets, and again meets Beatrice, his childhood sweetheart, the unrequited love of his life, who will guide him into heaven.
Dante wrote:]Under as lovely a sky as I could describe, came twenty -four Elders, two by two, crowned with lilies. They were all singing: .Blessed art thou among the daughters of Adam, and blessed to all eternity be thy beauties.. When the flowers, and the other fresh herbs, on the other bank opposite, were free of all those chosen people, four creatures came after them, each one crowned with green leaves, as star follows star in the sky.
These twenty four elders appear in the Book of Revelation, where they surround the throne of god, as the hours surround the day. It is decisive for the esoteric content of The Divine Comedy that Dante here says the four creatures came as star follows star. What this means is that the four living creature of Ezekiel, the bull, lion, eagle and man, represent the four corners of the zodiac as seen in the sky, Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius, and their bright stars Aldebaran, Regulus, Antares and Fomalhaut, which do indeed follow star by star in the sky, as Dante describes.
Dante wrote:read Ezekiel, who pictures them as he saw them, coming from the icy firmament in whirlwind, cloud and fire, and as you will find them in his pages, so they were here, except that John, the Divine, is with me as to the wings, and differs from him.
The number of wings on the angels apparently has a discrepancy between the Apocalypse and the book of Ezekiel, but Dante sides with the Apocalypse. This is a slightly bizarre decision on his part, since the number of wings on an angel is no more knowable than their size.
Dante wrote:a lady appeared to me, crowned with olive-leaves, over a white veil, dressed in colours of living flame, beneath a green cloak. And my spirit, that had endured so great a space of time, since it had been struck with awe, trembling, in her presence, through the hidden virtue that issued from her, and without having greater knowledge through my eyes, felt the intense power of former love. As soon as that high virtue struck my sight, which had already transfixed me, before I was out of my childhood, I turned to the left, with that faith with which a little boy runs to his mother, when he is afraid or troubled
Kline comments “Beatrice appears to Dante, wreathed in the olive sacred to Pallas Athene-Minerva, dressed in the white, green and red of Faith, Hope and Charity. Line 48 is a translation of Virgil.s Aeneid iv 23: I Recognise the tokens of the ancient flame." Dante “felt the intense power of former love”. Here he continues to build the romantic story of Beatrice, placing her on a divine pedestal as his one true love for life, never realised.
Dante wrote:Look at me, truly: I truly am, I truly am Beatrice. How did you dare to approach the Mount? Did you not know that here Man is happy?
I had not thought of Purgatory as a happy place, but I suppose the will to purge evil creates a disciplined purpose which is like the happiness people have when they purge some bad thing from their life. I think of mountains as purgatoria, and climbing them purges our body of fat and other toxins,
Dante wrote:I was frozen, without sighs or tears, before they, who always harmonise their notes with the melody of the eternal spheres,
As Dante approaches the top of the mountain of purgation, the angelic choir sings of heaven as a musical harmony of the planets.

Return to “The Divine Comedy - by Dante Alighieri”