• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Could humans grow beaks in another million years..,

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Could humans grow beaks in another million years..,

Unread post

I've always believed that the atheist has more of a Freudian problem with the concept of "God" than anything.

God is "hiding" "He" needs to show himself (evidence) to prove he exists (an absent parent that cares is around for the child to see. otherwise, the child becomes rebellious and insecure).

The atheist rebels against the very idea of an absent parent that is supposed to be an authority figure.
The child goes into denial and has issues with authority. as such.

Atheists are in an underdeveloped and immature stage. They cry for the attention they crave that a godless cosmos does not give them.

It's all quite Freudian.

Every deal with the know-it-all adolescent stage?
Last edited by ant on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

I think I might be doing it right now! But on the off-chance I'll mention that following something to the point of criticizing a large portion of humanity for not likewise following this someone can be seen, reasonably, as a childish thing to do. I'm not up on Freud. What did he have to say about projection? Anyway, I think considering the millions cases of cancer cured, the number of cripples made to walk again, the legions of demons cast out, and all of those prayers that were answered, that one regenerated leg is a very modest request. There is a line of thought that the western world is simply too educated for God to bother with miracles amongst us. This prompts him to do extraordinary things in other parts of the globe. So while God doesn't have to prove anything he does like to show off to the superstitious. And while I will grant that God is wise I am just as sure he's unfair to life, and not at all someone to look up to. But yeah, when it comes to right now, it seems to me both science and god are silent.

ps: hay ant, what about The Plague? Let's hear it!
Last edited by Kevin on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

smiththemighty wrote:I am definitely in the anything can happen camp on this one. There is no reason that over enough time that anything is possible.

There is Darwinism to consider though....

Darwinian Evolution is a powerfully effective mechanism and should not be underestimated.
However, from a strictly scientific perspective, it must be realized that the theory itself encapsulates a tension within science itself - Science must limit itself to experience (observation) and must go beyond experience for the refinement of theory.

This is not to say that DE is controversial. Rather, it is subject to continued development by means of empirical interpretation.

Scientific theory relies on linguistic structures. Said structures are only as good as their terms.
Partial definitions of terms are utilized to move a theory toward its goal of explaining phenomena and achieving predictive power (making predictions). Evolution by and large is dependent on narrative terms that are not verifiable by observation to achieve empirical certainty. That is why the theory of evolution is a constant work in progress.

This is something that rubs atheists the wrong way. In a chaotic cosmos they look for certainty just as much as the theist.
The atheist wants to be certain the he was once a fish. This is brings him comfort.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

God is "hiding" "He" needs to show himself (evidence) to prove he exists (an absent parent that cares is around for the child to see. otherwise, the child becomes rebellious and insecure).
Straw man #14

Who here is claiming he needs to show himself? I don't care if he acts as if he doesn't exist. I won't believe he exists in that case. Does that make you angry? Your post sounded a bit heated, as if atheists were being absurd to ask for evidence before believing something. No, I will not believe Muhammed’s writings without something to corroborate his anecdotes. Christian authors get no special treatment. L. Ron Hubbard as well.

Everyone peddles their ideological wares without evidence, then blames the non-believers for not believing! Yes, we atheists don’t believe because we’re immature children. You got us pegged!
This is something that rubs atheists the wrong way. In a chaotic cosmos they look for certainty just as much as the theist.
Straw man #15. Show me someone who has a stronger distaste for 'certainty' than myself. This one isn't only a straw man, it's the exact opposite!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote: The atheist wants to be certain the he was once a fish. This is brings him comfort.
We've tried to pin down your slippery position on evolution too, but that was also unsuccessful. You say you accept evolution, but it seems like you don't want to believe that humans have evolved from fish. So what exactly do you accept about evolution? This is not even controversial except among creationists.
Atheists are in an underdeveloped and immature stage. They cry for the attention they crave that a godless cosmos does not give them.
These posts are becoming increasingly ridiculous. So what is the mature stage? Are you in it? Does it consist of beliefs that have any content whatsoever?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
Straw man #14

Who here is claiming he needs to show himself? I don't care if he acts as if he doesn't exist. I won't believe he exists in that case. Does that make you angry? Your post sounded a bit heated, as if atheists were being absurd to ask for evidence before believing something. No, I will not believe Muhammed’s writings without something to corroborate his anecdotes. Christian authors get no special treatment. L. Ron Hubbard as well.

Everyone peddles their ideological wares without evidence, then blames the non-believers for not believing! Yes, we atheists don’t believe because we’re immature children. You got us pegged!
Straw man #15. Show me someone who has a stronger distaste for 'certainty' than myself. This one isn't only a straw man, it's the exact opposite!

Oh come on now. The Freudian analysis was just that., and analysis of the big stink atheists, militant in particular, make of their belief in the non existence of God. It wasn't an "argument" Duh!
It's very important that we were all once fishies to the atheist because that would certainly mean god does not exist. :D

I noticed you were more interested in getting emotional here and didn't bother with the meat and potatoes of my post - the theory of evolution.
I must have hit some Freudian soft spot.

But it is all very Freudian.

BTW,
You mentioned the word hiding. It's not a stretch to imply that if "he" is "hiding" you'd like to see him come out of hiding.
Don't get your shorts knotted up over my commenting on your childish cosmic hide-and-seek game you think is going on. You're the ridiculous one here.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

These posts are becoming increasingly ridiculous.

Okay. Bye
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

ps: hay ant, what about The Plague? Let's hear it!
I admire the atheistic message Albert Camus has to share in The Plague.

My interpretation of the story is that in the face of human suffering it does not matter if god exists or not, we are fellow sufferers that need not look elsewhere for help. What saves us in the end is our humanity, our humane involvement. The willingness of each person to do their part. The character Rieux exemplifies this.
(in a nutshell)

:)
Last edited by ant on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

You mentioned the word hiding. It's not a stretch to imply that if "he" is "hiding" you'd like to see him come out of hiding.
I'm sorry, but the joke's on you here. I don't believe he's hiding. How silly of a rationalization is that. The simplest explanation is that he's a fictional entity. I say "he's hiding" as a way of poking fun. "Where's the elephant you said was in the back yard?" "Oh, he's hiding behind that there tree." Yep.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
I'm sorry, but the joke's on you here. I don't believe he's hiding. How silly of a rationalization is that. The simplest explanation is that he's a fictional entity. I say "he's hiding" as a way of poking fun. "Where's the elephant you said was in the back yard?" "Oh, he's hiding behind that there tree." Yep.

You wrote it, you wear it, pal.

Return to “Science & Technology”