• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 5: Who do we have night and day, winter and summer?

#120: May - July 2013 (Non-Fiction)
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Re: Ch. 5: Who do we have night and day, winter and summer?

Unread post

I appreciate your summaries, Geo.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

I'm re reading it. I do enjoy the mythical and scientific reasons side by side. To be honest, not having taken science, I didn't realise that a cannonball would still feel heavy in space because it still has mass. Good explanations but still a tendency to talk down to his perceived audience at times. '...but if it confuses you, just forget about it.' etc
I also think the idea of feedback a good one. Just because one does not contribute does not mean that one has not enjoyed the book, in this case because I really don't know much about the subject. I read your article, Robert, but had to look up 'precession' first.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Hi, I'm something of a gatecrasher on this book which I haven't read.Was intrigued by the question."Why do we have night and day etc? For your amusement, Flann O' Brien wrote a comic masterpiece of fiction, called "The third policeman." The main character is a big fan of a mad scientist called De Selby and he has a theory on this. Quote;It is not clear whether De Selby had heard of this but he suggests that night, far from being caused by the commonly accepted theory of planetary movements, was due to accumulations of black air produced by certain volcanic activities of which he does not treat in detail.

Return to “The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True - by Richard Dawkins”