• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

The Plague - Albert Camus

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Re: The Plague - Albert Camus

Unread post

ant wrote:Some good thoughts and a great quote from the book.

The real plague actually exists in the heart of the common man.

i need to stop right there because you arent quite finished yet.

i need to ask you your opinion on a few of the characters.
OK man I've finished. Let's hear it!
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
jdkellogg
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I'm reading Pandora's Grave, by Stephen M. England. Very good so far! Before that, I read Hunter, by Robert Bidinotto. Really enjoyed that one!

James

James D. Kellogg
Author of Radical Action: A Colt Kelley Thriller
James

James D. Kellogg
Author of Radical Action: A Colt Kelley Thriller
bionov
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Since I read and write thriller novels dealing with epidemics, I decided to read “The Plague” by Albert Camus. What struck me right off was this was not a thriller novel dealing with the microorganism that causes an epidemic. Instead it was about how the various characters handle a situation where a plague causes the isolation of a city.
Also, I found the writing style quite interesting. The author uses the omniscient point of view to allow a narrator to tell the story. The narrator also uses quotes from the various characters plus referring to a journal of one of the character to move the story along.
But like I said before, the reader is shown how the characters react to being quarantined and cut off from the rest of the world. This allows the author to get in a lot of philosophical and theological ideas to play around with in how his various characters act in response to the plague. With out a doubt this novel is well written. I can see why Albert Camus received a Nobel Prize in Literature in 1957.
:) I enjoyed reading this novel, even though it was not a thriller like "Outbreak" by Robin Cook.
brian douglas
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I've finished listening to it (audiobook) and rather enjoyed it. I'm going to give it a second listen today.

The perceptions at the end of the book - 'real life' verses the superficiality that the general public strive to return was rather apt. It reminds me of the lifeboat scenarios where you had to decide who gets on the boat or not... but my personal perception is that we are always in a lifeboat scenario; but with just a much, much larger boat. So it become an out of sight out of mind condition.

My favorite moment/scene is in which Tarrou and Rieux go for a late night swim.

Gentlemen, hats off!'
On the thin ice of modern life...
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Thanks very much Brian for drawing attention to this old thread. Your point on superficiality reflects the existential themes that Camus was famous for - how problems like plague force us to confront reality when we would prefer to live in a comforting fantasy.

As I mentioned on the Coronavirus thread, I would like to discuss the relevance of The Plague to the psychological and social issues arising from the current pandemic. I think it would be a great Booktalk fiction selection.

The Plague is available at this link for free as a pdf.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”