• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey *Spoiler*

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ShortCake21

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey *Spoiler*

Unread post

I've just finished reading this truly amazing book. I fell in love with each character, and it sent me on an emotional roller coaster.

I will have to say it was quite difficult to keep interested in at the beginning because I kept asking 'When will the Snow Child come?' but once she enters the story it is brilliant! And it definitely makes you question yourself.
The author doesn't tell you exactly what Faina was. Was she a Snow Fairy or a human child that coincidentally came into Jack and Mabel's lives at that moment? The story is so magical and beautifully told. I had so many different emotions while reading this book. I fell in love when Jack and Mabel had their romantic moments. I laughed when Ester visited the cabin. I was furious when I found out Garrett took Faina's innocence and impregnated her, but I felt bubbly inside when she gave birth to that baby boy. And in the last chapter I cried so much when she disappeared

Now, I say 'disappeared' because that's what I wanted to discuss here. I need closure from the ending. It was so sudden and unexpected. Depending on what you believed Faina was I guess the answers will be different. Did Faina die from childbirth or from homesickness? Did she return to the snow where she belonged as a Snow Fairy? Or did she run away back into the mountains and abandon her child and husband?
And why do you think Eowyn Ivey take her away from the story?
annwieland
Official Newbie!

Re: The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey *Spoiler*

Unread post

I think she "melted" as in the original fairy tale. But I'm romantic like that.
jnb55
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi, One of my favourite books. Wonderful story!
jnb55
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

If you enjoyed Snowchild then read Clockwork, by Phillip Pullman. Brilliant!

Return to “What are you currently reading?”