• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

people’s behavior determined more by beliefs and values, or more by environment in Guns, Germs...

#4: Sept. - Oct. 2002 (Non-Fiction)
happy9z
Official Newbie!

people’s behavior determined more by beliefs and values, or more by environment in Guns, Germs...

Unread post

I am reading a lot on internet. However, I am really confused about this book. Do you think that:
Does history and culture follow different courses for different peoples because of differences among those peoples’ environments, or because of differences among those peoples themselves? In other words, is a people’s behavior determined more by beliefs and values, or more by environment?
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: people’s behavior determined more by beliefs and values, or more by environment in Guns, Germs...

Unread post

well both must be a factor, i would think beliefs and values play a huge part but that environment or circumstances also are very pertinent.

so instead of

is a people’s behavior determined more by beliefs and values, or more by environment?

i would say

people's behaviour is determined by beliefs and values, AND environment and circumstance.

i'm thinking where a persons beliefs and values might make them reluctant to steal food but their environment and circumstance (poverty and hunger) render it necessary to overide that reluctance.

but you may have been thinking in a different context.

for example if food and clothing and shelter are a given then beliefs and values may hold more sway.

Return to “Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies - by Jared Diamond”