• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The nature of music

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

The nature of music

Unread post

During the recent Paris Commune anniversary celebration it dawned on me that I happened to be hearing Joseph Haydn's Symphony, La Reine. It is called La Reine due to its being a favorite of Marie Antoinette. La Reine means (I have read) The Queen in French. We all know music is an international language that can serve to unite disparate elements and reinforce pre-existing prejudices. Was this piece played in mockery of the nobility or because it is a compelling work? Well who knows... both work, really. As far as I'm concerned they do anyway. Music is something else!

The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: The nature of music

Unread post

a hearty amen to that my brother, AMEN! :D

ahhhh music, sweet music...

an endless fascinating mystery, so much could be said

but if it be the food of love then... play on.

this one is fascinating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4Gmwo0E_0

not again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynj1pPCn ... beVlI9mtWg

at 1:30 i'm home
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

I keep meaning to check out Jeff Beck. I'm currently reading a book on the Russian composer Sergei Prokofiev. It is something else how music (the arts in general) had to be approved by the state. In addition to obvious blunders (lyrics critical of Stalin during Stalin's time say) there is the more abstract misteps such as the overuse of discordant tones which to the censors smacked of counter-revolutionary intent. The resulting mess resulted in actual abstract revolt. The most well-known being the case of Dmitri Shostakovish who when told to inform his star pupil that she was heading down a mistaken path dutifully told her, I encourage you to continue down your mistaken path.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

:lol: classic
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Giacinto Scelsi constructed his quattro pezzi per orchestra around single notes.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”