• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Chapter 11 discussion, "...the rich have always objected to being governed at all."all

#116: Feb. - April 2013 (Fiction)
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Chapter 11 discussion, "...the rich have always objected to being governed at all."all

Unread post

In Chapter 11, The Criminals Chase the Police, of The Man Who Was Thursday, Inspector Ratcliffe argues that anarchy is more desired by the rich than by the poor. His reasoning is that while, “The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.”

Is this a reasonable position to defend?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Pheidippides
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: Chapter 11 discussion, "...the rich have always objected to being governed at all."all

Unread post

Some prominent anarchists:

Errico Malatesta-Son of middle class landowners.

Emma Goldman-Screwed up "poor" home by any measure,

Pierre-Joseph Proudhon-Son of a bar keep

William Godwin-Bourgeoise to a fault

Mikhail Bakunin-Grew up on a family estate with 500 serfs.

I would buy the notion that they are the product of a middle class background as opposed to a wealthy one. I would agree that the "lower classes" are not typically home to that line of reasoning.
Ptimb
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: Chapter 11 discussion, "...the rich have always objected to being governed at all."all

Unread post

About to go to sleep so I will have to get back to the question tomorrow but saw the heading and had to comment . While I was reading this section the thought of a Chesterton vs Ayn Rand cage match jumped into my head
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

stahrwe wrote: the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
so they simply buy it like they do everything else.
Wealth Leads to Political Power

An outright plutocracy governed by a handful of wealthy individuals is relatively rare in the modern era. The governments of many nations, however, are heavily influenced by wealth. Wealth can buy political power through lobbying, campaign contributions, bribing and other forms of legal or illegal financial pressure. Many nations have tried to limit the influence of the wealthy through laws controlling things such as campaign finances and lobbying, but these laws can be difficult to define and enforce.
can't they just :muahaha:
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I don't think there is a lot of cause for the rich to revolt or want anarchy. I can see them being Libertarians, but not anarchists. Money is power, and that includes governmental power. If they didn't have that sort if system, they would lose some of their hold. I can't imagine why they would do that. And I expect the cost of a standing army to defend yourself and your property would be pretty staggering... More than they pay in taxes, perhaps! :)
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Your comments are correct as far as they go. Chesterton was deeply disgusted by the corruption in the British government. His brother Cecil published a newspaper that focused on corruption. He prosecuted by the government for accusing members of Parliament of taking bribes in The Marconi Affair, The Watergate of his time. The scandal and how it was handled seemed to the Chestertons to demonstrate that the wealthy need not obey the law.

Marconi scandal
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.

Return to “The Man Who Was Thursday - by G. K. Chesterton”