• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Questions which should be left to the end.

#116: Feb. - April 2013 (Fiction)
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Questions which should be left to the end.

Unread post

I have some questions, and perhaps you do as well, which should be left to the end.

Stop here if you have not completed the book and don't want to read a spoiler.

My first question concerns the election of Gabriel Syme as Thursday in Chapter 2.
It seems to me that the logical thing to do would have been to elect Gregory as he was advocating non-violence. Why did they elect an unknown and violent man if they were all police?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Questions which should be left to the end.

Unread post

Well, they're trying o catch the most anarch-y anarchists. :) The ones who seem peaceable are probably not much to worry about.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Re: Questions which should be left to the end.

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:I have some questions, and perhaps you do as well, which should be left to the end.

Stop here if you have not completed the book and don't want to read a spoiler.

My first question concerns the election of Gabriel Syme as Thursday in Chapter 2.
It seems to me that the logical thing to do would have been to elect Gregory as he was advocating non-violence. Why did they elect an unknown and violent man if they were all police?
This does seem illogical, perhaps paradoxical. Lots of paradox in this book so not too surprising. But perhaps its not completely illogical. They are police and they are looking for anarchists, it is their mission as police to bust the anarchists and the more potentially violent the better, so they see and, oddly enough, support their enemy because their enemy justifies themselves, reinforces who they are and why they are there. If there were no true anarchists (and Gregory despite his bluster speaks in a very pacifist way so he doesn't appear to be a true anarchist) then there is no need for police. Syme fits the bill as an anarchist and they elect him. Also, the big target in this police investigation is not this local anarchist group but the Council of Anarchists and perhaps Syme is a more credible representative on that Council than Gregory.

Return to “The Man Who Was Thursday - by G. K. Chesterton”