• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Katherine Mansfield's Short Stories

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Lady Disdain
Getting Comfortable

Katherine Mansfield's Short Stories

Unread post

I absolutely love Manfield's writing, and I'm curious whether anyone else here has read or still reads her? She seems to be pushed to the side at times, or just seems to pass below the radar, really, but her writing is just genius! Anyone read her stories?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Katherine Mansfield's Short Stories

Unread post

No, she's one of my many gaps, I'm afraid. I had a lit prof whose opinion I respected, and he admired her as well. But never got around to reading her, alas. It might be somewhat unusual that she, I believe, never wrote a single novel. Anyway, which of her stories do you like, or like the best?
Lady Disdain
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Ah, that's true. She actually died of TB when she was quite young - she was intending to write a novel before that but she never had time to finish it.

Oh, and there are so many of her stories that I love, buts some of my personal favorites include "Daughters of the Late Colonel", "At the Bay", and "Her First Ball". There are lots of others - I guess it changes depending on the time.

But I hope you get to read some of them sometime! The way she wields words is just stunning.
LaGraziana
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I heard of Katherine Mansfield, but never got round to reading any of her stories, yet. Good to know that she's still remembered, read and appreciated.
Last edited by LaGraziana on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edith LaGraziana
http://edith-lagraziana.blogspot.com
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Lady Disdain wrote:Ah, that's true. She actually died of TB when she was quite young - she was intending to write a novel before that but she never had time to finish it.

Oh, and there are so many of her stories that I love, buts some of my personal favorites include "Daughters of the Late Colonel", "At the Bay", and "Her First Ball". There are lots of others - I guess it changes depending on the time.

But I hope you get to read some of them sometime! The way she wields words is just stunning.
I'm gonna do it! Thanks for the suggestions.
Aomame
Book Nut

Unread post

In my last book package I had her complete works. I just started with the stories in "In a German Pension" and I just loved it. Her portrait of the Germans is so accurate, detailed, sharp but not mean! (I read the German translation).
Currently Reading:
Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday

Return to “Short Story Discussions”