Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Chapters 1 - 10 of My Name is Red 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Chapters 1 - 10 of My Name is Red
Chapters 1 - 10 of My Name is Red

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:41 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Post Re: Chapters 1 - 10 of My Name is Red
I did not realize that this author wrote "Snow" which I found well written and unusual. I have ordered "My Name is Red" and am looking forward to the discussion.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:30 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Nut

Anybody already read the first chapters and wants to share his/her impressions? We are in no hurry - the books planned for March! Nevertheless, postings are welcome!

Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:12 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

I have read five chapters. The sudden changes in the narative makes it difficult, this early in the novel, for me to get my bearings. I need to read a little more before I can comment any further, except to say, the first five chapters seem to be laying a foundation for the rest of the novel. It is a page turner, but I find that I need to be careful and pay attention, very close attention. I find myself flipping back and re reading previous passages. This is not a light read although on the surface it appears to be. Orhan Pamuk is a fantastic story teller, which I am sure led to his Nobel Prize in literature. He is a strange egg. I am still pondering the chapter narrated by a dog. :shock:

This was a good pick. I am glad that I am reading it. Thanks for the list of characters Aomame, I find myself using it often. I am sure this discussion will blast off once readers get a bit farther into the novel.

The following user would like to thank Suzanne for this post:
Aomame, youkrst
Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:07 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intelligent

Suzanne wrote:
I have read five chapters. The sudden changes in the narative makes it difficult, this early in the novel, for me to get my bearings. I need to read a little more before I can comment any further, except to say, the first five chapters seem to be laying a foundation for the rest of the novel. It is a page turner, but I find that I need to be careful and pay attention, very close attention. I find myself flipping back and re reading previous passages. This is not a light read although on the surface it appears to be. Orhan Pamuk is a fantastic story teller, which I am sure led to his Nobel Prize in literature. He is a strange egg. I am still pondering the chapter narrated by a dog. :shock:

This was a good pick. I am glad that I am reading it. Thanks for the list of characters Aomame, I find myself using it often. I am sure this discussion will blast off once readers get a bit farther into the novel.

This style does take some getting used to, but I'm finding it interesting now that I'm further along. Suzanne, how do you find this book compared to others of Pamuk's that you've read?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Permanent Ink Finger

I liked the transition from chapter 2 to chapter 3. In chapter 2 there is a scene with Black in a cemetery crying as the snow is falling and a black dog he didn't notice at first. Then at the end of the chapter a storyteller is pointing and telling a story about a picture of a dog. Next chapter begins from the perspective of a dog. I wonder if chapter 3 is a way in which we can get the meaning of a dog and retroactively fit it into the previous imagery? Speaking of imagery, I'm loving it in this book.

The following user would like to thank Ptimb for this post:
Aomame
Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:08 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

finally got a copy and am intrigued already, real page turner, well it would be if i could stay awake for a whole page, but alas i am so short on sleep i doze off before i finish a page, reading just knocks me out when i'm tired.

but if all goes well i will be able to get into it on the weekend. so far i just love the style of writing, and wouldn't have guessed it's a translation. only read half a page though :lol:

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:14 pm
Profile Email
Book General

Silver Contributor

lindad_amato wrote:
This style does take some getting used to, but I'm finding it interesting now that I'm further along. Suzanne, how do you find this book compared to others of Pamuk's that you've read?

I have only read one other novel by Pamuk, that was, "Snow". This novel was narrated by a single character, but, the style of writing is similar. The descriptions of both "Snow" and "My Name is Red" are not accurate in my opinion. Both of these novels are much deeper than described. Pamuk is clearly a very spiritual man, and this spirituality was the driving force behind "Snow", I can also see it in this novel as well. I was disappointed after finishing "Snow", but I am truly enjoying "My Name is Red".

I am about two hundred pages in and have to say that the switching of character narratives is flowing well. I love the unreliable narrator, and in this book, there are many! I don't even believe the dog at this point, but more on that in another thread.

The following user would like to thank Suzanne for this post:
lindad_amato
Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:15 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intelligent

Thanks Suzanne, I'm going to try Snow or maybe one of his other books. I'm also about as far along in Red as you and am not having any trouble with the character switches. I think in the beginning it was awkward because the reader had to come to know who the narrator was. As far as the dog and the tree, I think we need to look deeper into why they have a voice and what they mean to the illustrations.

To some extent Pamuk's writing reminds me of Rushdie. Have you read any of his work? If so, your thoughts?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:46 am
Genius

Silver Contributor

chapter 1 is a romance between a new corpse and decomposition, with the added satisfaction of blind
faith in an afterlife,(welcome but not necessary to a corpse) and the intrigue of mortality.

The transition from chapter 2 to 3 I agree does have a certain disconnected symmetry.

This so far has been a cool book, its a good example of global suburbanization of popular writing.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:03 am
Profile Email
Book Nut

I am glad that so far nobody seems to be irritated by the change of perspective - this was one of the critics I read several times in other fora. To mitigate this possible outcome, I had posted the list of characters (Suzanne, glad that it was helpful).

To the ones who read the first chapters: What was the most intriguing scene for you so far? Is your sympathy with the victim? And what do you see in the colors that are mentioned (red, black, white)?

Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday

Last edited by Aomame on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:55 pm
Profile Email
Permanent Ink Finger

Aomame wrote:
I am glad that so far nobody seems to be irritated by the change of perspective - this was one of the critics I read several times in other fora. To mitigate this possible outcome, I had posted the list of characters (Suzanne, glad that it was helpful).

The change in perspective is my favorite part. The Frankish paintings are made using perspective while the miniaturists use no perspective and draw everything as being 2d. I think the Frankish way of rendering correlates with the first person perspective in this book and if we were to compare the miniaturists traditional drawings to a narrator's perspective it would be third person omniscient. It makes me wonder from what viewpoint stories were told in this region during this time. The most intriguing scenes to me have been the chapters told from the perspective of the dog and the tree.

I haven't figured out how to feel about the colors because I'm scared they might have different connotations depending on culture. For example it is hard for me to disassociate red with blood, stop lights, power, and anger. It might end up being the same but I feel like I should play it safe.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:35 pm
Profile Email
Book Nut

Ptimb, I like your thoughts about the perspective. It puts a light on another layer of the story. In my opinion that is the fascination of this book - the multiple layer structure. I think it is almost worth reading it once for every layer. Do you feel the same?

How about the other readers?

For me, the dog chapter is still making me thinking. I expect talking dogs only in children's books. They are cute little creatures that try to behave like a mixture of animal and men. I do not know how Pamuk did it, but I have not questioned the seriousness of the book although I was listening to a talking dog. Thoughts from anybody on this?

Recently Finished:

New on the shelf:

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:02 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.