• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

New publishing. Ebook vs Paper

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
rdenning
Official Newbie!

Re: New publishing. Ebook vs Paper

Unread post

I have been self publishing for 2 or 3 years.
I feel that you need to have both e-books and paperbacks.

I go to book fairs and do visits to schools and at those locations it is physical books which sell. Moreover the physical book is the selling tool. Often folk look at a book, grab a book mark and then order e-books later (so it seems from sales patterns) BUT the physical book is what gets them looking.

Overall my sales are 50//50 ebook and paperbacks BUT online my sales are 90% e-books. So you must have both.

Things are changing but there are still reviewers who will ONLY look at e-books or ONLY at paperbacks.
Any way that's my 1 pennies worth.
rdenning
Official Newbie!

Unread post

jro8051 wrote:I think what has stopped me from doing an e-book for my book is hearing about how often e-books are pirated and put all over the internet without the author's permission. E-books are great and are a good option for authors and consumers but I am concerned about this problem.
I suppose you have to ask yourself what is worse - the book being pirated or not reaching an audience.
If the first book in a series was pirated and copied and led to sales of other books that would not bother me much.

It does happen but not that widely./
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

on pirating books, here's Neil Gaiman.

I tend to agree with him.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/02/1 ... ing-books/
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Denio Press
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Here is an article my friend, who is a publsiher, sent me. Its titled "Death of Printed Books May Have Been Exaggerated". http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/13/01/ ... =popbyskid Its an interesting article about how ebooks and paper "compliment" eachother.
evelon
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Speaking as a reader, I prefer ebooks. They're easier to get hold of - lots of free classics - are usually cheaper and, providing you check out the samples first, you can usually avoid the badly written ones. I love my Kindle and iPad - they are so much easier to take on holiday or to stick in a handbag for a crafty read while no-one's looking!
I still like my traditional books and I couldn't get rid of my favourites no matter what, but most of my buys now are ebooks.
Speaking as a self published writer, ebooks are the easiest and cheapest to publish, but what a faff promoting them is! If you don't mind telling the world how good you are, it's ok. But I prefer to blend into the background, so it's been a bit of a trial to get into this self promotion thing.
It's been a good experience though and I'll keep going.
I went with Smashwords - they'll provide the ISBN free of charge.
THE CRYING OF THE CHILDREN

Set in England in the 1930's - baby farmers, factory children, workhouses - it's all here.

http://www.peggilennard.wordpress.com

Return to “Author's Lounge”