• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Characters in My Name is Red

#118: Mar. - May 2013 (Fiction)
Aomame
Book Nut

Characters in My Name is Red

Unread post

Here is an overview of the book's characters (source: Wikpedia)

Elegant Effendi, murdered miniaturist who speaks from the afterlife to the reader in the opening chapter.

Kara (Black), miniaturist and binder. Recently returned from 12 years away in Persia. Nephew of Enishte ("Uncle").
Enishte Effendi, maternal uncle of Black, who is in charge of the creation of a secret book for the Sultan in the style of the Venetian painters
Shekure, Enishte's beautiful daughter with whom Black is in love; Shekure (related to English 'sugar' refers to Shirin, meaning 'sweet', also the name of Pamuk's mother)
Shevket, Shekure's older son (also the name of Orhan Pamuk's older brother)
Orhan, Shekure's younger son (also Pamuk's first name)
Hasan, the younger brother of Shekure's husband
Hayriye, slave girl in Enishte's household, Enishte's concubine

Master Osman, head of the Sultan's workshop of miniaturists. This character is based on Nakkaş Osman
Butterfly, one of three miniaturists suspected for the murders. Paints figures in the book representing Death, and the Melancholy Woman
Stork, one of three suspect miniaturists. Paints the Tree and the Dog
Olive, one of three suspect miniaturists. Paints Satan and the two Dervishes

Esther, a Jewess peddler, a matchmaker, carries lovers' letters
Nusret Hoja, a Conservative Muslim leader who may be based on an historical figure, opposes coffee and coffeehouses, bawdy stories, and figurative paintings
Currently Reading:
Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday

Return to “My Name Is Red - by Orhan Pamuk”