Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:04 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Lord Jim; chapters, 21-25 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Post Lord Jim; chapters, 21-25
LORD JIM
Joseph Conrad

Chapters; 21-25

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:00 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

Post Re: Lord Jim; chapters, 21-25
I think Marlow's poignant account in Chp24 of Jim's arrival at Patusan and the fear and disruption he caused is powerful. 'and thus entered the land he was destined to fill with the fame of his virtues' - quite biblical really.

The following user would like to thank giselle for this post:
DWill
Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:39 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

giselle wrote:
I think Marlow's poignant account in Chp24 of Jim's arrival at Patusan and the fear and disruption he caused is powerful. 'and thus entered the land he was destined to fill with the fame of his virtues' - quite biblical really.

And it certainly came after his fall from grace. So he does re-enter Eden, in a sense. Continuing your great comparison, what evil may befall Jim that could once again get him expelled from paradise? I'm glad to report that it is not another Eve that does it!

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
giselle
Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:42 am
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

DWill wrote:
And it certainly came after his fall from grace. So he does re-enter Eden, in a sense.

Yes, I thought of Jim arriving at Patusan as somewhat like re-entering Eden, makes sense after his fall, or perhaps he's being "reborn" in the Christian fundamentalist sense. But Patusan doesn't turn out to much of an Eden .. more like a nasty, violent hell hole ... and a rather unlikely place for Jim to claim (or reclaim) his innocence. Regardless of his virtues, the survival imperative would dictate means that are conspiratorial, violent and murderous ... an innocent would have zero chance of survival.

I like the way Marlow's Patusan account is structured as a retrospective and where the only other white man that can be remembered for generations is Tuan Jim. Eden or hell hole, from the local, native perspective, Tuan Jim is a Patusan legend ... and perhaps an Adam-like figure in a twisted sort of way.

Interesting your mention of 'another Eve' ... I noticed that female characters were pretty scarce in the first half of the book, maybe understandable to some extent given the time period and story line, but still a noticeable absence. The first female I can recall that is specifically mentioned is the 'fearless hag' who curses Jim in Chp 24. Its not until Jim makes good his escape from the Rajah a couple chapters later and we meet Doramin's wife that a female character enters the story in a meaningful way. So, not too surprising that 'Eve' doesn't make an appearance. However, at the end of Chp 27, as Marlow reflects on the width and breadth of Jim's fame, he makes the following remark:

"You would have to paddle, pole or track a long weary way through the jungle before you passed beyond the reach of its voice. Its voice was not the trumpeting of the disreputable goddess we all know - not blatant-not brazen."

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:20 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

I have read the book through Chapter 27 (have had some distactions), and I also have noticed the absence of female characters other than as shadowy background figures. This includes Doramin's 'old wife,; who though is obviously a strong personality in her own right, so far has not even been given a name in the narrative.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

Maybe in general Conrad didn't "do" women. I haven't read any other of his novels besides Heart of Darkness, and certainly women are barely mentioned in that. Anyone else know whether Conrad developes an women characters? I suppose that, if he doesn't, it could be better not to try than to do it badly.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:05 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.