• In total there are 28 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What book of fiction should we discuss during February and March?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: What book of fiction should we discuss during February and March?

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:A book about rabbits; really? Isn't it just the Hobbit with long ears.
:lol: Hello stahwre. I don't know if I would compare "Watership Down" with "The Hobbit". The fantasy factor is missing from WD. It's a story told from the prospective of rabbits. It's a cute story.
Dexter wrote:Mentioned this before, it's quite long though and a bit daunting to be honest. I picked up the Kindle version for $2 when it was on sale, and it has been sitting on my iPad so I need an excuse to start reading it.
Anathem, Neal Stephenson
This novel is appealing. I am reading a novel of fantasy now, "Imajica", by Clive Barker.
http://www.amazon.com/Imajica-The-Fifth ... 0061094145
It's really good. It took about a hundred pages to really get into, but now I can't put it down and I am not a big fantasy reader.

The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton also looks good. This is a public domain novel so it's free.

We need some feedback on the novels that have been suggested. It would be great if we could choose a book from the suggested novels.

What are some thoughts about the novels that have been suggested?
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

I suggested The English Patient and I do think it would be a good read but after checking the various links and info provided on the suggested titles, I also like The Man Who Was Thursday. It looks like a meaty enough text to make for good discussion without being overly long, looks like under 200 pages, although some people might find this a bit short! I have found that book discussions on very long books often seem to fizzle before reaching the end and I think its nice if we can get all the way through it with good participation. One of the reviews I read called Chesterton's book a 'metaphysical thriller' so I am curious to find out what that is. I'm thinking of some of Umberto Eco's work for comparison but maybe I'm way off. The following is from one of the book reviews I found:

G. K. Chesterton's surreal masterpiece is a psychological thriller that centers on seven anarchists in turn-of-the-century London who call themselves by the names of the days of the week. Chesterton explores the meanings of their disguised identities in what is a fascinating mystery and, ultimately, a spellbinding allegory. As Jonathan Lethem remarks in his Introduction, The real characters are the ideas. Chesterton's nutty agenda is really quite simple: to expose moral relativism and parlor nihilism for the devils he believes them to be. This wouldn't be interesting at all, though, if he didn't also show such passion for giving the devil his due. He animates the forces of chaos and anarchy with every ounce of imaginative verve and rhetorical force in his body.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Chesterton's 'nutty' agenda? I am unclear as to the justification for that characterization of Chesterton's purpose in The Man Who Was Thursday. I propose that some of the characters are 'nutty', and some of the visualizations in the story are 'nutty' (the balloon chase through the city), but Chesterton's agenda? I don't see it as either clear or nutty. As with many of Chesterton's works I thought I had figured out The Surprise* plot several times only to be left mystified when it veered off in a different direction.

*George Bernard Shaw was a great friend of Chesterton's and heckled him to write plays. Chesterton finally agreed after Shaw threatened to seduce Chesterton's wife if he did not. One of the plays he wrote was The Surprise. It was successfully performed and was full of surprises.

As for WD being a cute story; I read cute stories to my granddaughter.
My comparison of it to The Hobbit did not refer to the genre but the idea of small, defenseless creatures prevailing heroically.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

What? Not a Rocky fan?

I hope I never get too old to appreciate cute. :D
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

There is nothing wrong with CUTE. I just don't have time to indulge in it for my personal entertainment nor would I expect it to be a big draw in a discussion at BT. Not necessarily that it isn't a valid story but that after one says, "Oh, that was a cute chapter," twice, what else is left to discuss.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Moire
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Well it is about rabbits if that's all you see or get from the story. It certainly is nothing like the Hobbit. You can read it and think it's nothing but about rabbits or you can see the deeper meaning. I saw the underlying story when I first read it. I liked the way the author took a journey of rabbits from one home to another and depicted heroism and survival.
stahrwe wrote:A book about rabbits; really? Isn't it just the Hobbit with long ears.
“Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth”
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Moire wrote:Well it is about rabbits if that's all you see or get from the story. It certainly is nothing like the Hobbit. You can read it and think it's nothing but about rabbits or you can see the deeper meaning. I saw the underlying story when I first read it. I liked the way the author took a journey of rabbits from one home to another and depicted heroism and survival.
By the way, I'm already reading this book. And if you guys want to read it, that's great. But likely I won't be involved.

It's a great book!
-Geo
Question everything
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

As the author and publisher (Rita Lee Chapman) of Missing in Egypt I would love you to discuss my book! Until 14th February I have a 50% off coupon with Smashwords. Just go to https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/263417 and enter coupon no JG75N to buy for $1.50 instead of $2.99.

Missing in Egypt is my first book and some feedback would be great. It is a romance mystery set in Australia and Egypt. Anna Davies works for an Australian MP and is approached by a constituent for assistance in finding his brother who is missing in Egypt. Anna falls in love with Karim and travels to Egypt to assist him in his search. She endures entombment, grief and betrayal - this is not a happy ending book. Includes vivid descriptions of Egyptian temples and sites. Recently described by a Goodreads reader as a quick, fun week-end read (127 pages).

Also available thru Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Missing-in-Egypt- ... g+in+Egypt
Missing_in_Egypt_Cover_for_Booktalk.jpg
Missing_in_Egypt_Cover_for_Booktalk.jpg (12.78 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

the novel is the Aeneid of the rabbits as they escape the destruction of their warren and seek a place to establish a new home, encountering perils and temptations along the way.
i'll take a guess and say that the reason this book remains so popular and evokes such strong reactions in people still is because it touches on elements common to all people.

it's not about rabbits, it's about you and me.
Moire
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I wish you hadn't said that. It makes me wonder if it's worth reading if I'm going to walk away depressed or wanting to throw the book at the wall in frustration. Which leads me to another issue, I wouldn't want to criticize a forum member too much. :|
rchapman1tewantin wrote:this is not a happy ending book.
“Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth”

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”