• In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

New NON-FICTION starting February 1st? - Help us pick a book here!

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: New NON-FICTION starting Jan. 1st?? - Help us pick a book here!

Unread post

With the rise in popularity of climate denialism, it would be good to read a scientific book about climate change.

I recently wrote a review of Storms of My Grandchildren by James Hansen of NASA, and would like to suggest this as a booktalk discussion. I copied my review at booktalk here.
trinqets
Official Newbie!

Unread post

In 2012 I read and would recommend
The Emperor of All Maladies or 1493

Plutocrats
I just can't get through because it is too worriesome but I think very important to understand the future. It is well written, researched and reviewed. Maybe we can hold hands.

one of my favorite long time non fiction books is

Zero, the Biography of a Dangerous Idea.
Well written and intriguing AND it's a short book.

Here's to another interesting year...

Trinqets
Baltimore MD
Trinqets
Pheidippides
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

The Diamond book would be one heck of a pick. The book featuring Carl Jung would be a strong second in my opinion. So when does this start?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: New NON-FICTION starting February 1st? - Help us pick a book here!

Unread post

As you guys can see I changed the date on this thread to show us picking a book starting February 1st instead of January 1st.
ryanbradley
Official Newbie!

Non-Fiction Book Suggestion - The Tangled Web we Weave, by Ryan Bradley,

Unread post

I am the author of a newly published book, The Tangled Web We Weave. I am a proffessional writer but this is my first book. The book is a compilation of stories based on interviews of people who are currently in or have had an extra-marital relationship. The stories are fascinating. It is availble in Kindle and hardback.

The quest to find love never dies. It is inherent in all of us: man and woman, rich and poor, black and white, and yes, single and married. The stories in this book are about real people and their quest to find true love and the struggle to retain that love. Like many people searching for love, these people are alone and seeking the warmth of a loving relationship, but one thing separates these people from many others. These people are married. This book is about the ultimate human drama – an extra-marital affair of the heart. These are stories of real people from across the country who for one reason or another, have sought companionship outside their marriage at some point. They talk about the joys, the sorrows, the ecstasy and the stress of juggling a double life and why they are willing to risk so much to be with that one forbidden person. They talk about how the clock is always looming when they are together which is why every minute shared is treasured, every bout of laughter enjoyed, every kiss savored, every touch relished. You may like or dislike these people; you may empathize or identify with them. One thing is for certain though; you will have an opinion about them because these are stories that concern the heart. Whether you are single or married, you will find things in this book that will remain with you, because everyone who reads this book has one thing in common. We all desire to find someone.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tangled-Web-W ... b+we+weave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
solewriter
Official Newbie!

Unread post

The Forgotten Sole (Book 1)

"I encourage you to look inside the pages and explore the flaws of your own humanity"

I am only one person, with a vision, one snapshot away from bringing the light in with a new view. As I explore, meet, interview and photograph "The Forgotten Sole" that, within the "soles" of their feet, hold tightly and secretly to their stories. I will venture within the depths of the streets, back alleys, abandoned houses, empty lots, and under bridges to bring to life the untold and well guarded pages that need to be read and heard. I am the voice of many... in honor of OUR homeless... "The Forgotten Sole"

About the Author

Stephanie E. Rawle, is able to capture the moment of others through her own life experiences. She reaches inside your soul and opens the door of feelings, empathy and compassion. Once you have experienced this voyage... your new journey begins.
Attachments
http://theforgottensole.com/my-book/
http://theforgottensole.com/my-book/
BookCoverImage.jpg (54.85 KiB) Viewed 6593 times
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

If you're still taking suggestions I read a book a few months ago that was pretty interesting.

How Shakespeare Changed Everything by Stephen Marche. It's about Shakespeare's impact on modern society. I didn't necessarily agree with everything the author said but it still made me look at our culture a bit differently.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Shakespeare-C ... everything
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Everyone, please be sure to read the suggestions everyone else is making and tell us which suggestions you like and don't like. We need feedback more than suggestions as this point.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

I can't think of a book I am less interested in than The Tangled Web. Why would I want to read stories about people who can't keep their zippers zipped and their promises?

I don't mean to be a heel but the book about feet is also not appealing to me.

The paranoia book must be rejected since the government will be monitoring the discussions.

I reiterate my own recommendation about Einstein, Godel and Time - A World Without Time. It has the advantage of being about a friendship between the most important man of the 20th Century (according to Time Magazine at least) and one of the greatest logicians of all time. It is not a scientific text but it has enough scientific theory to attract the BT folks with those interests and it presents some interesting questions to ponder.

My second choice would be the Shakespearebook. Books about the Bard are almost always interesting if the author is competent but I still think AWT will be more thought provoking.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
ampierc2
Official Newbie!

Unread post

The happiness project, by Gretchen Rubin

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”