• In total there are 32 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What is your favorite Christmas or Holiday Show?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: What is your favorite Christmas or Holiday Show?

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:Well Stahrwe, this may surprise you but my favorite is "The Bells of St. Mary's" I used to watch this every Christmas time. I also love the Christmas shown in "Fanny and Alexander" which is a very beautiful movie. I am too old to have become familiar with the cartoon Christmas movies and in general I do not like animated films (although my grandson who wants to become a movie director, tells me it is a "legitimate art form!" I am a fan of Truman Capote's writing and if I remember correctly this story is very poignant. He did have a very sad childhood.
Thank you for your post and comments. Very interesting. I remember seeing the Bells of St. Mary's a few times but it isn't a staple with me. I will have to check out Fanny and Alexander as I am not familiar with it.

There is also a sappy old movie called, Tenth Avenue Angel that we try to catch every year. It is about a little girl named Flavia whose mother will die unless Flavia can see a cow kneel at midnight on Christmas Eve (I know)

In a broader category, I love the Trans Siberian Orchestra's Ghosts of Christmas Past DVD

And then there are the real sentimental Christmas movies like:

Die Hard,
Long Kiss Goodnight
Silent Partner

I can't get over that theater in Chris' post.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:Stahrwe, this isn't the point of your question but maybe will explain a little more. Just because we are atheists does not mean we do not appreciate all the very great beauty that has been created because of Christianity. In fact I collect religious art and have a copy of Raphaels' "Madonna of the Chair" hanging in my bedroom.

Once we spent 3 weeks in Winchester England and went almost daily to the Cathedral. To ignore all this great art and architecture would be as silly as I think other things are. BTW they have a vellum Bible there (think it is two volumes) that was incredible, since of course it is hand done and the illustrations are very beautiful.
You're making me drool.
Thank you for the post.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
moondarlin21
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

First one is National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. The second one would be the old cartoon ones with the Heat and Cold Miser brothers. I have a big list of Christmas movies I watch every year. I like Home Alone 1 and 2 (the other ones were dumb without McCauley Culkin in them). Christmas with the Kranks is really funny and the one with Arnold Swartzenneger, Jingle All The Way is one of my favs as well.
lisaadams
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Marx Brothers' "Duck Soup"
mockingbird
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Die Hard is the best Xmas movie ever.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I have to vote for "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." I am talking about the animated version, with the talents of Boris Karloff.

The less said about the Jim Carey version, the better.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
JulieFeinstein
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi -- I watch every version of A Christmas Carol that comes on TV, from the black and white classics to the modern animated ones. And I read the Dickens story every December -- love it! I like Tim Allen in The Santa Clause, too. J
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

"Muppet Christmas Carol"
NateTheLeo
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:The Grinch of course!

Even without the boxes and bows, love for your family and friends still shows.

You read my mind
Mitya
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

My usual intolerance to saccharine pictures is suspended during December, but I still prefer some dramatic bite in my Xmas films. And that's why 'Comfort and Joy'(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsw1I15Fj9I) is up there with my favourite holiday movies, with its narrative of a thirty-something disc jockey who loses at love and then reluctantly gets mixed up in a violent battle over territory between rival ice cream companies. Provided you're not averse to the 1980s retro vibe, or the sardonic perspective on Christmas time, this film charms in ways that few yuletide efforts can dream of.

But it wouldn't be December without making time for some shamelessly sentimental dramas, and Youtube has kept me busy with 'O Henry's Full House'(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q10izkMlXP0), 'Christmas Holiday'(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHrZyUO3b24), and 'Holiday Affair'(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTmISocEi2g).

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”